Turvin, Jackson help Trojans sweep Pace
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 19, 2008 1:49 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Anna Turvin flirted with a no-hitter for six innings and Jenny Jackson cranked out a two-run double as Mount Olive stopped Pace (N.Y.) 4-1 in game one of their doubleheader on Tuesday afternoon.
Jackson threw a two-hitter in the nightcap, won by the Trojans 3-0.
In the opener, Turvin (6-5) retired the first six batters she faced on just 10 pitches. Pace didn't put a runner aboard until the third inning and finally scratched for a run on a two-out, fifth-inning error.
Turvin had no strikeouts, but retired 16 batters on groundouts and allowed just four balls to leave the infield.
Jackson's two-out, third-inning single broke a scoreless tie in game two.
Cahoon led off the fifth with a single, went to second on a ground out and scored on Jackson's single. Jackson went 3-for-4 and Cahoon 2-for-3 as the two combined for five of Mount Olive's 10 hits.
Jackson, who finished with five strikeouts, has allowed only 10 hits over 26 innings in her last four starts, all complete game victories.
Mount Olive (16-9 overall) plays host to North Georgia today. Game time is 1 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series