By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 20, 2008 1:50 PM
WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock completed its regular-season sweep of Wilson Fike 9-0 in non-conference men's tennis action Wednesday afternoon.
Top-seeded Blake Vail remained unbeaten in seven singles matches. Second-seeded Addison Westbrook, Blake Cooper, Ben Evans, Dylan Quinn and Rawad Alawar each collected a singles point.
Vail-Cooper, Evans-Quinn and Westbrook-Johnson each triumphed in doubles play.
C.B. Aycock (6-1 overall) visits Eastern Carolina 3-A foe Wilson Hunt on Apr. 1.
Lane Tree Ladies Assoc.
Shelley Leder captured low net and low putts in the first game during spring tournament play at Lane Tree Golf Course.
Nan Jarrell claimed low net and split low putts with Donna Adams in the second game.
Bruins top EW
Wilson Beddingfield started its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference season with a 4-1 victory over Eastern Wayne on Tuesday.
Warriors pitcher Lani Fricks recorded six strikeouts and permitted seven hits in a complete-game effort. Fricks added three hits, including a triple, and scored a run.
Eastern Wayne (3-7 overall) played host to White Oak on Wednesday afternoon. Results were not available at press time.
Rams squeeze out win
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central needed an extra at-bat, but managed a pull off a 6-5 victory over visiting South Central.
Scott Murphey was the beneficiary of the late run, earning the win on the mound by pitching one inning of relief.
Trae Beaman led the Rams at the plate, belting two hits and driving in two runs. Marcus Lee also reached base twice for Greene Central.
The Rams (6-2 overall) face Wilson Hunt on Saturday in the George Whitfield Invitational at Kinston. Game time is 4 p.m.
* C.B.Aycock baseball 8, Wilson Hunt 3 -- Nick McGee delivered a key, bases-clearing double for the Golden Falcons. Anderson Barnes also ripped an RBI double in the win. Jordan Quinn posted six strikeouts during a complete-game effort on the mound. Aycock (8-0 overall) visits county rival Eastern Wayne today.
* South Central baseball 16, Greene Central 15 (8 inn.) -- William Bynum tripled and reached base three times for the Rams. C.J. Faulkner also tallied three hits in the loss. The Rams fell to 4-2 overall.
* Grantham baseball 9, Spring Creek 8 (8 inn.) -- Taylor Raynor ignited the game-winning double play for the Bulldogs. Ashton Cox emerged the offensive leader with three hits. Keith Jones, Keenan Winn (RBI) and Jacob Sasser provided two hits apiece. Grantham (2-1-1 overall) is 2-0 in Wayne County Middle School Division II play this season.
* Grantham softball 11, Spring Creek 1 -- Madison Davis threw a five-inning, no-hitter for the Bulldogs. Davis added two hits offensively, while Hope Rose reached base twice in the win. Grantham climbed to 2-2 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series