By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 25, 2008 2:22 PM
John Kurt-Cozine threw a no-hitter as Faith Christian defeated Teach, a private school in Washington, 12-0 on the baseball diamond Monday afternoon.
Cozine mashed a three-run homer for the Conquerors, who remained unbeaten in three outings this season. Wes Caudle doubled twice and Michael Clark contributed two hits.
Faith Christian visits N.C. Christian Schools Association Coastal Region 2-A rival Berean Baptist today.
Details were not available on the softball game involving both teams. Faith is the two-time defending 2-A state champ.
KINSTON -- After getting no-hit by Hunt on Saturday, Greene Central rebounded with a 12-2, five-inning victory over Kinston in the third annual George Whitfield Invitational.
Jasper Jones led the Rams with three hits. Justin Everette batted 2-for-3 with two RBI.
Michael Speedy threw a complete-game, four-hitter. He struck out six, walked one and surrendered two earned runs.
The Rams (7-3 overall) play Coastal Conference 3-A member South Central today at 1:30 p.m.
LOUISBURG -- Wayne Country Day got two hits and three RBI from Cameron Strickland, but it wasn't enough as the Chargers fell to tournament host Louisburg 16-6 on Monday evening.
Ryan Ford also had a good night in the batter's box, driving in two runs with one hit.
Errors again proved costly for the Chargers. Six defensive miscues turned into 10 unearned runs. Louisburg broke the game open in the second inning, plating 10 runs on four Charger errors.
Wayne Country Day (0-4 overall) will be back in action today against independent schools member Halifax Academy in the second round of the tournament. Game time is 1 pm.
The three-day tournament concludes Wednesday.
* C.B. Aycock baseball 5, Greene Central 2 -- Jeff Davis cranked out three hits in three at-bats for the Golden Falcons, while teammate Anderson Barnes provided two hits. Jordan Quinn emerged the winning pitcher. Kyle McLawhorn, Eric Grant and Will Bynum had one hit apiece for the Rams. Wes Sowers took the mound loss. Greene Central fell to 4-4 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series