MOC baseball stays number one
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on March 25, 2008 2:19 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- Mount Olive remains No. 1 in the latest Collegiate Baseball top 30 poll and head coach Carl Lancaster is now a 700-game winner at the perennial Division II powerhouse.
The Trojans (33-2 overall) remained No. 1 for the fifth consecutive week and reached the 30-win plateau with a doubleheader, non-conference sweep of Shepherd (W. Va.) University. They added three weekend victories over Conference Carolinas foe Limestone (S.C.) College, which entered the series tied for ninth in the South Atlantic Region poll.
Lancaster notched career wins Nos. 700 and 701 during the trip to Limestone. The 22-year head coach is 701-350 overall with the Trojans.
Mount Olive has swept all five Conference Carolina series this season and 14 in a row since 2006. Lancaster's teams have emerged victorious in 49 of 53 league outings, including conference tournament play, during that stretch.
No. 28-ranked Catawba invades Scarborough Field today for a doubleheader. First pitch in game one is 2:30 p.m.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series