By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 26, 2008 2:40 PM
LOUISBURG -- Wayne Country earned its first win of the season on Tuesday defeating Halifax Academy 11-1 in five innings.
Kevin Herring pitched a complete game allowing one run with six strikeouts and one walk. Herring also had a three-run double and four RBI. Cole Davis added a pair of hits and two RBI and Ryan Ford contributed a hit and four RBI. David Wilson, Albert Cho and Cameron Strickland all had one hit a piece.
The Chargers (1-5 overall) face Franklinton High School today at 1 p.m. in the fifth place game.
FAYETTEVILLE -- Taylor Stocks tossed a complete game two-hitter and Faith Christian routed Berean 14-4 on Tuesday.
Matt Lambert was 4-for-4 with two triples, two RBI and three runs scored. Nick Gurley went 3-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored.
The Conquerors (6-0 overall) visit Liberty Christian on Thursday.
SHALLOTTE -- Southern Wayne completed its appearance in an Easter Tournament at West Brunswick High School with a 4-1 victory over Wallace-Rose Hill.
Scott Holloman and Robert Herring each had home runs and Jordan Williams and Tyler Edwards both collected a pair of hits.
Phil Howell picked up the win on the mound allowing just one run on two hits with five strikeouts and three walks through five and 2/3 innings.
The Saints (8-4 overall) travel to Charles B. Aycock on Tuesday.
Rams go down
KINSTON -- Greene Central suffered a 6-5 loss to South Central on the final day of the George Whitfield Invitational.
Michael Speedy and Steven McDonald (RBI) led the Rams' offense with two hits apiece.
Scott Murphy endured the loss on the mound.
Greene Central fell to 7-4 overall.
TRITON -- Goldsboro fell 9-4 in its final game of the Triton Easter Tournament.
Marquise Dance, Donald Lewis, Josh McCoy and Keith Jackson each had two hits for the Cougars. Alex Aldridge and Needham Core also recorded hits.
Dance took the loss on the mound. Aldridge (catcher) and Dance were named to the All-Tournament squad.
Goldsboro (0-4 overall) faces Eastern Plains 2-A Conference opponent Tarboro on Tuesday.
Walnut Creek LGA
Evelyn Rose was the play-of-the-day winner during weekly tournament play at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Novella Zambelli won low gross. Pete Reaves took low net, while Mary Ann Sutton claimed low putts.
* Greene Central baseball 17, North Pitt 7 (6 inn.) -- Trent Murray doubled twice in five at-bats, while Wes Sowers added two hits. William Bynum batted 1-for-3 and earned a spot on the all-tournament team. Kyle McLawhorn was the winning pitcher. Greene Central improved to 5-4 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series