ECU baseball tops Campbell
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on March 27, 2008 2:31 PM
GREENVILLE -- Sthil Sowers, who led North Lenoir to two Class 2-A state baseball championships, picked up his second collegiate win Wednesday evening during East Carolina's 11-3 thrashing of in-state rival Campbell University.
Sowers (2-1) yielded two runs on six innings in a career-high six innings. He fanned five Camel hitters who didn't fare much better against the Pirates' bullpen. Goldsboro native Brett Butts, Matt Cox, Brad Mincey and Britton Cole combined for five strikeouts.
It was Cole's collegiate debut.
Offensively, the Pirates (16-6 overall) cranked three home runs and collected 15 hits on the Lewis Field diamond inside Clark-LeClair Stadium. Corey Kemp, Ryan Wood and Stephen Batts each belted a round-tripper against the Camels, who dropped to 9-14 overall.
Kemp homered in the first inning and added an RBI single in East Carolina's four-run, third-inning rally. Wood drilled his seventh homer of the season and Batts added his fourth as the Pirates took command with a four-run, fourth-inning uprising.
East Carolina returns to action Friday at No. 19-ranked UCF for their second Conference USA series of the season. Both teams are 1-2 in league play.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series