ECU tops Campbell
Published in Sports on April 3, 2008 1:50 PM
GREENVILLE -- Daniel Holder tossed five scoreless innings and freshman Trent Whitehead slugged home a run as No. 24-ranked East Carolina routed Campbell 11-2 at Clark-LeClair Stadium.
Whitehead's slam spearheaded a seven-run, seventh-inning outburst. Bobby Fowler recorded his first-ever collegiate hit and scored on Ryan Wood's single. Stephen Batts doubled home Harrison Eldridge and Corey Kemp loaded the sacks with a walk.
Whitehead cleared the bases with his second homer of the season.
In his first start of the season, Holder (2-1) permitted just four hits and posted five strikeouts. Bailey Daniels worked the sixth. Bullpen mates Brad Mincey and Britton Cole carried the Pirates into the ninth.
Freshman Matt Laney threw a perfect ninth.
Fowler, Wood, Kemp, Brandon Henderson and Dustin Harrington (RBI) contributed two hits apiece to East Carolina's 14-hit outburst against seven Campbell pitchers. Wood, Batts, Harrington, Fowler and Devin Harris each drove in a run.
East Carolina (19-8 overall) travels to Conference USA foe Southern Miss for a three-game series this weekend. The Golden Eagles are ranked No. 20 in the latest Collegiate Baseball Division I poll.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series