By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 8, 2008 3:11 PM
SNOW HILL - James Kersey and Jason Perry each kept opponents from winning a single game as Greene Central powered past South Central 9-0 in non-confererence tennis action Monday afternoon.
Eric Simmons, Trey Cash, Colby Chase and Andrew Harrison all added singles points for the Rams.
The tandems of Simmons-Cash, Kersey-Perry and Chase-Harrison all won in doubles competition.
"I thought we played extremely well today," Ram coach Brad Sauls said. "We only had a few errors and we forced our opponent to make errors. Eric played a very consistent match.
"His ground strokes were penetrating, and he kept them on the run for most of the match."
Greene Central improved to 7-3 overall.
KINSTON -- Blake Vail, Ben Nichols, Dylan Quinn and Addison Westbrook all posted shutout wins in singles play as Charles B. Atcock swept North Lenoir 9-0 on the Bill Fay Park courts Monday afternoon.
The teams of Vail-Cooper, Westbrook-Nichols and Evans-Quinn each picked up doubles points for the Falcons.
C.B. Aycock (8-1 overall) entertains Southern Wayne today.
Wayne Christian falls
Cape Fear Christian capitalized on three first-inning errors and cruised past Wayne Christian 5-0 on Monday afternoon.
The Eagles, ranked No. 1 among the state's N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Class 1-A teams, suffered their first loss in eight outings this season. They exited 2-1 against Carolina Christian 1-A Conference opposition.
Cynthia Burroughs, Sarah McCollum and Kayla Kennedy all had hits for Wayne Christian.
The Eagles (7-1 overall) entertain Rosewood next Monday.
North Lenoir rolls
LaGRANGE -- Jordan Hudson recorded a hat trick (three goals) as North Lenoir downed county rival Kinston 4-1 at Bullock Field on Monday evening.
Lindsey Walton added the Hawks' additional score.
North Lenoir improved to 9-2 overall.
Eastern Wayne outshot Princeton and pulled out a 2-0, non-conference victory at Little Big Horn on Monday evening.
The Warriors owned a 16-1 advantage in shots on goal.
Crystal Lemmon opened the scoring with a goal off an assist from Brandi Dean. Janielle Daniel added the second goal.
Eastern Wayne (7-3 overall) visits No. 1-ranked Jacksonville White Oak on Thursday.
KINSTON -- Matt Davis carded a nine-hole round of 3-under par 33 as Wayne Christian rolled past Bethel Christian Academy 154-193 on Monday afternoon.
Eric Williams contributed a 38, followed by Taylor Gardner with a 40. Hayden Gardner completed the Eagles' scoring with a 43.
The Eagles travel to Keith Hills Country Club for a Carolina Christian 1-A Conference match today.
* Wayne Christian softball 16, Cape Fear Christian 6 - Merridith Burroughs and Kayla Kennedy combined to throw a no-hitter and strike out six for the Eagles. Kennedy also went 3-3 at the plate. Sarah McCollum belted a double in the victory. Wayne Christian improves to 3-0.
* Wayne Christian baseball 5, Trinity Academy 3 - Chandler Harrell led the Eagles at the plate with two hits. Chase Darden, Josh Burdett, Kyle Sasser and Josiah Davis all added hits in the win. Gregory Johnson and Jackson Hayes each pitched for the Eagles.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series