By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on April 15, 2008 3:24 PM
DUDLEY -- Phil Howell scattered four hits over five innings and allowed one earned run as Southern Wayne held off Triton 3-2 at the Doyle Whitfield Athletic Complex on Monday.
Raymond Valazquez pitched the final two innings to earn the save.
Ricky Oddon powered the Saints offensively, driving in two runs on a single and a bases-loaded walk. Mathew Holmes also recorded an RBI single for Southern Wayne.
Southern Wayne (9-7 overall) heads to Wilson Beddingfield today.
Hawks rule Devils
DEEP RUN -- Lindsay Walton recorded a hat trick as North Lenoir raced past South Lenoir 6-1 on the soccer pitch Monday.
Jordan Hudson, Linsey Fulton and Sara Farmer each contributed one goal to the Hawk casue.
North Lenoir (10-2 overall) entertains Richlands on Wednesday.
Eagles finish eighth
DURHAM -- Wayne Christian carded a team total of 335, good enough for an eighth-place finish at the second annual N.C. High School Invitational at Treyburn Country Cub.
Matt Davis shot the low individual round for the Eagles with an 80. Taylor Gardner fired an 83. Eric Williams and Hayden Gardner each turned in rounds of 86, while teammate Andrew Radford rounded out the scoring with a 103.
TARBORO -- Thomas Faulkner carded an even-par 36 to earn medalist honors as North Lenoir strengthened its hold on the Eastern Plains 2-A golf standings with a win at Cotton Valley Golf Club in Tarboro.
Impending weather forced the match to be shortened to nine holes.
Goldsboro continued to improve and lowered its team score for the third consecutive conference match.
"Odediah Speight is continuing to get better, and we are slowly improving," said Cougar coach Al Southerland. "The two guys that played on the team last year are still leading the team. Speight and Ricky Richardson have done a good job for us."
The next EPC meet is Monday at Happy Valley in Wilson.
* Wayne Christian girls soccer 7, Rocky Mount Prep 0 -- Devan Isenhower and Tiffany Price each found the back of the net twice for the Eagles. Anna Pierce, Courtney Howell, and Kathryn Lowery each recorded a goal. Wayne Christian improved to 4-1 overall.
* Cape Fear Christian baseball 9, Wayne Christian 8 -- Chandler Harrell reached base twice for the Eagles, while teammates Caleb Nelson and Kyle Sasser each belted a double. Wayne Christian dropped to 2-5 overall.
* Grantham baseball 12, Mount Olive 6 -- Keenan Winn earned the win on the mound for the Bulldogs. Winn also belted a two-run homer to help his own cause. Taylor Brock delivered a grand slam in the bottom of the sixth inning to secure the win. Grantham improved to 6-2-1 overall.
* Grantham softball 8, Mount Olive 5 -- Madison Davis struck out 14 Mount Olive batters and only allowed one hit. Taylor Davis led the Grantham offense with two doubles. Hope Rose also added a double in the win. Grantham rose to 7-2 overall.
* Spring Creek softball 22, Brogden 7 -- Ashley Parks, Lori Beth Pigford, Latesha Boseman, Katelyn Casey and Janna Price all had hits for the Gators.
* Eastern Wayne Gold baseball 7, Wayne Christian 3 -- Andrew McKeel belted his first home run of the year for Eastern Wayne Gold. Hayden Ware pitched a complete game and struck out 12 to earn the win on the mound.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series