By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 1, 2008 3:10 PM
KENLY -- Rosewood found the back of the net three times in the first half, and held on to beat Class 1-A Carolina Conference rival North Johnston, 3-1, on Wednesday evening.
Gabby Cornman opened the scoring for the Eagles, finding her mark off a pass from Kaitlyn Conger. The sophomore tallied her second goal on an unassisted play.
Chelsea Sasser added an insurance goal for the Eagles just before the halftime whistle.
Rosewood (11-5-1 overall) improved to 4-1 in conference play and is the guest of archrival Princeton on Friday.
LAGRANGE -- Jordan Hudson scored the lone goal midway through the second half and North Lenoir went on to claim its sixth consecutive Eastern Plains 2-A Conference crown with a 1-0 win over Tarboro.
Ra'Nelle Dudley posted the shutout in the net for the Hawks.
North Lenoir concluded regular-season play 13-3 overall.
Area players advance
Spring Creek's Daniel Richter-Colby Strickland blazed through the doubles bracket of the Carolina 1-A Conference tournament and earned a spot in next week's N.C. High School Athletic Association eastern regional.
The duo did not lose a set the entire day and capped the effort with an impressive 6-2, 6-4 win over Noth Johnston's Dustin Kendal-Gabe Pate.
"Those two finally played up to their potential," said Spring Creek head coach Robert Jones. "I am really proud of their effort."
The second Gator tandem of Matt Richter-Alex Dunmire topped North Johnston's Grey Bruton-Will McLamb in the fifth-place match.
In singles action, Rosewood's Trevor Morris ruled the courts. The senior defeated North Johnston's Jonathan Cooper 6-1, 6-4 in the championship match.
Ayden-Grifton won the team title with 20 points. North Johnston tallied 18 points, followed by Rosewood and Spring Creek with 12 points apiece.
Saints down Hawks
LAGRANGE -- Southern Wayne claimed a 5-1, non-conference win over perennial 2-A power North Lenoir on Wednesday evening.
Nicole Howard led the Saints' offense with two hits. Kristen Davenport added a triple.
North Lenoir fell to 15-5 overall, while Southern Wayne improved to 17-4. The Saints conclude regular-season play at home today against Wilson Beddingfield.
Details were not available for the Saints' players.
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central got a big night at the plate from Trea Beaman, but it was not enough in a 6-5 loss to Farmville Central.
Beaman homered and tripled in a 2-for-3, three-RBI showing.
Greene Central (9-11 overall) dipped to 2-6 in EPC play this season.
WHITEVILLE -- Kevin Herring scattered nine hits in five-plus innings and Wayne Country Day stunned state-ranked Waccamaw 12-3 on Wednesday afternoon.
Herring posted five strikeouts to collect the mound win.
Cameron Strickland led the Chargers' offense with a home run and a double. Herring blasted a home run in a two-hit effort at the plate. Teammates Cameron Ford, Hil Tanner, Jack Scott and Ryan Ford each collected an RBI for Wayne Country Day.
"This was a very big win for us as we move toward the playoffs," said WCDS head coach Michael Taylor.
The Chargers (6-10 overall) entertain state-ranked Kerr-Vance Academy on Friday. Wayne Country Day is 3-3 against Coastal Plains Independent Conference teams this season.
Lane Tree LGA
Nan Jarrell claimed game-of-the-week and low net honors during weekly tournament play at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Betty Jean Gurley won low putts.
Walnut Creek LGA
Mary Ann Sutton emerged play-of-the-day winner during weekly tournament play at Walnut Creek Country Club.
Faye Franklin claimed low gross in first flight, while Charlotte Campbell took low net. Linda Cannon won low gross in second flight, while Nancy Satterfield and Pete Reaves tied for low net.
Evelyn Rose seized low putts for the field.
* Flora McDonald baseball 16, Wayne Christian 5 -- Caleb Nelson, Kyle Sasser and Jackson Hayes led the Eagles' offense. The Eagles concluded the season 4-8 overall.
* Greene Central baseball 5, Farmville Central 0 -- Wes Sowers delivered a complete game shutout for the Rams. Teammates Zach Chase and Josh Taylor each recorded two hits. Greene Central climbed to 13-5 overall.
* Grantham baseball 2, Norwayne 1 -- Keenan Winn threw a five-inning, one-hitter and posted four strikeouts for the Bulldogs. Josh Edwards earned the save. Jacob Sasser and Edwards collected one hit apiece for Grantham. Ivey Strickland delivered a fifth-inning, sacrifice fly to score Edwards for the game-winning run. The Bulldogs (9-2-1 overall) conclude regular-season play at home Monday against Greenwood.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series