By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on May 6, 2008 1:49 PM
SMITHFIELD -- Jeremy Jefferson provided three innings of solid relief on the mound and top-seeded Wayne Christian outlasted Cape Fear Christian 8-5 on the Smithfield Community Park diamond Monday afternoon.
The Eagles oppose Trinity-Durham for the Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference baseball tournament championship today. The winner receives the automatic bid to the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association playoffs.
First pitch is 5 p.m.
Tied through 51/2 innings, Jefferson ignited a game-clinching rally with a base hit. Two batters later, Travis Thomas plated Jefferson with a double. Steven Gallagher added a back-breaking, two-RBI double to send the Eagles into the title contest.
"I thought our guys played a great game tonight," said Wayne Christian head coach Tim Brannan. "We got a good relief effort from Jeremy and we were able to battle at the plate in the late innings."
The Eagles won their 33rd consecutive CCC outing.
Greene Central used a third-inning, seven-run uprising to turn back Goldsboro 10-0 in their Eastern Plains 2-A Conference regular-season finale on Monday.
Donald Lewis led the Cougars with two hits. Darrell Williamson added one hit.
Steve McDonald, Marcus Lee, Chris Legget and Ryan Letchworth emerged the offensive leaders for the Rams. Jasper Jones claimed the mound win.
The Cougars (0-10 EPC) concluded the season 0-16 overall.
Greene Central finished 10-12 overall and 3-7 in the EPC.
Lane Tree LGA
Theresa Merritt claimed game-of-the-week honors during weekly tournament play at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Linda Watson won low net. Betty Jean Gurley and Libby Newsome shared low putts.
* Greene Central baseball 9, D.H. Conley 5 -- Will Bynum belted three hits, including a triple, for the Rams. Jeff Howard and Trent Murray each added two hits, while C.J. Faulkner took the mound win. Greene Central concluded its season 15-5 overall.
* Norwayne baseball 3, Eastern Wayne 2 -- Bryant Stanford tossed a complete game to lead Norwayne in the Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division I finale for both teams. Kyle Walker and Colin DuBose each had one hit in the win. The Cobras and Warriors shared the Division I championship.
* Grantham softball 7, Greenwood 1-- Madison Davis hurled a complete game one-hitter as the Bulldogs captured the WCMSAC Division II title. The younger sister of Meredith and Morgan Davis, who both play for Southern Wayne, Madison led the offense with two hits -- including a double. Andrel Morris added two hits in three at-bats. Grantham compiled a perfect 8-0 record against Division II opposition.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series