MOC opens golf regional
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on May 6, 2008 1:50 PM
MOORESVILLE -- Mick Moberg birdied two of the final three holes and Mount Olive finished tied for fifth out of eight Atlantic Region teams after opening-round play in the NCAA Division II Atlantic/Southeast Super Regional on Monday.
The Trojans were in second place after nine holes, but dropped down as far as seventh during the back nine. They ended up eight shots out of second place at 311.
Moberg, who is competing in his fourth NCAA Championships, posted a 4-over par 76 on The Point Lake and Golf Club layout. He's tied for 13th overall.
Freshman Ryan Campbell was 2-over par through 13 holes, but concluded his round with three consecutive bogeys for a 77. Jonathan Greene and Johan Hagsund each recorded a 79, while Pete Skirptas registered an 80. Greene was 1-under on the front nine, but couldn't recover from a pair of triple bogeys on the back side.
Regional host Belmont Abbey emerged the first-day, Atlantic Region team leader with a 294. Georgia College & State University leads the Southeast Region with a 285.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series