ECU boils Rice, 4-3
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on May 23, 2008 4:18 PM
Senior T.J. Hose pitched four-plus innings of scoreless relief as No. 28-ranked East Carolina slipped past top-seeded Rice 4-3 in the CUSA baseball tournament on Thursday.
The fifth-seeded Pirates (40-18 overall) oppose either Houston or UAB today. Rice (42-13) finished 0-2 in CUSA tournament play for the first time since 1995.
Hose replaced Justin Bristow and logged five strikeouts. Josh Ruhlman posted the final two outs for his second save of the season.
ECU used a sixth-inning uprising to take control of the game. CUSA player of the year Corey Kemp homered. Dustin Harrington and Harrison Eldridge each provided RBI hits to put the Pirates ahead 4-3.
Kyle Roller homered in the fifth for ECU.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series