Mudcats can't hold early lead
Published in Sports on June 10, 2008 2:18 PM
Russell Mitchell hit two home runs over the left field wall to lead Jacksonville past Carolina 9-5 Monday night in front of 3,141 at Five County Stadium.
Carolina (35-29) took a first inning lead when Gaby Sanchez hit an RBI double to centerfield, scoring John Raynor. After Jacksonville claimed the lead in the second, Chris Coghlan hit a two-run home run over the right field wall to score Cameron Maybin and tie the game at 3-3. Coghlan homered again in the fifth, this time a solo shot to give Carolina the 4-3 lead.
Matt Yourkin (2-3) pitched two innings for Carolina, and the left-hander gave up five runs, including both homers by Mitchell. Jacksonville added an insurance run in the ninth after Jacob Marceaux walked four batters before ending the inning.
Carolina fell 3 1/2 off of the Northern Division pace with six to play in the first half.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series