Grantham's hit lifts Wayne County South
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on June 23, 2008 1:50 PM
DUDLEY -- Zach Grantham's game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning capped a five-run rally as Wayne County South defeated Kinston 7-6 on Sunday evening.
Scott Holloman's grand slam in the seventh tied the game at 6-6 before Grantham delivered the game-winner with two outs. Grantham went 3-for-3 with three RBI, and Holloman was 2-for-3 with a pair of runs scored.
Dontay Boseman, Jordan Hood and Matt Neal all added hits.
Kinston led 6-0 heading to the home half of the sixth inning before Wayne County South (9-2 overall) pushed across a pair of runs.
Raymond Velazquez got the win in relief allowing one unearned run with two strikeouts and three walks in 3 2/3 innings of relief.
Wayne County South visits Beaufort at 7 p.m. today.
North drops pair
Wayne County North dipped to 2-3 in Area I/II Central Conference play with back-to-back losses against D.H. Conley and rival Wayne County South.
North endured a 12-3 defeat against DHC. Colton Fulghum, Josh Frederick and Hunter Newsome each contributed two hits in the loss.
Robert Faucette provided a two-RBI, fourth-inning home run in North's 14-2 loss to Wayne County South.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series