Smokies hold off Mudcats
Published in Sports on July 8, 2008 1:48 PM
Tennessee built a six run lead against Carolina before holding off the Mudcats 8-7 in 10 innings in front of 3,912 fans Monday afternoon at Five County Stadium.
Tennessee (13-7) scored three runs in the top of the first inning, highlighted by a two-run home run over the left field wall by Jake Fox.
Tennessee scored three more runs in the fifth inning to give them a 7-1 lead over Carolina (10-10). Former N.C. State standout Matt Camp hit an RBI triple to right center field, and later scored a run for the Smokies.
Carolina will play the first of a five game series in Birmingham beginning Tuesday night at 8:05 ET. Gaby Hernandez will make his first start of the season for the Mudcats.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series