Mudcats pick up late win
Published in Sports on July 10, 2008 1:48 PM
Chris Coghlan singled in the tie-breaking run as part of a two-run ninth as Carolina defeated Birmingham 3-1 at Regions Park on Wednesday afternoon.
Entering the ninth tied 1-1, John Raynor singled, stole second and was bunted to third by Smelin Perez.
Coghlan looped a single inside the right field line to score Raynor, then scored on a sacrifice fly by Dante Brinkley. Chris Mobley (S, 16) allowed only a single in the last of the ninth to save up the win for reliever Jeff Gogal (W, 4-0).
Brett Sinkbeil threw seven strong innings, but received a no-decision. Sinkbeil struck out five, did not walk a batter and scattered seven hits while has was facing the first-place Barons for the first time this season.
Raynor homered to start the game, his third home run in as many games. The Barons (13-9) tied the game in the third on a two-out single by Robert Hudson.
Carolina (11-11) will send out former Barons pitcher Willie Glen (5-2, 2.22) tonight against Birmingham.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series