Babe Ruth softball
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on July 15, 2008 1:54 PM
HENDERSON -- Three Wayne County Babe Ruth softball teams begin their quest for Southeast Regional championships later this week after strong performances on the Eastern N.C. state scene.
The 8U squad reeled off seven consecutive victories after an opening-round, two-run loss to Johnston County. They swept unbeaten Down East 9-8 and 16-2 to earn a trip to Wilson, site of this year's regionals.
Meanwhile, the Wayne County Thunder 10U team experienced little trouble. They finished 5-0 and knocked off perennial power Pitt County. They outscored the opposition 39-13.
The injury-riddled 14U team ended up 3-2 with losses to eventual state champion Pitt County and regional host Wilson. Wayne County cranked out consolation-round victories over Bear Grass (1-0), Washington County (14-5) and Pamlico County (5-3).
Sara Marquis recorded eight strikeouts in the pitcher's circle against Bear Grass. Misty Edwards claimed the mound wins against Washington and Pamlico.
After playing 21 innings, Wayne County didn't have enough left against Wilson. Despite the loss, Wayne County received a regional bid since Wilson is the host team.
Wayne County did not advance in 12U and 18U competition.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series