By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on July 17, 2008 1:20 PM
Wayne North JL
NEW BERN -- Wayne North got five solid innings out of starter Jordan Quinn and held on to defeat New Bern 10-6 in Junior Legion baseball action on Wednesday.
Jimmy Kearney pitched the final two innings in relief to earn the save.
Colton Fulghum powered Wayne North at the plate, delivering two hits and two RBI. Josh Frederick also belted two hits for the victors.
The win sets up a rematch of an earlier playoff contest tonight when Wayne North travels to Southwest Brunswick. Despite a taking 16-2 defeat on Tuesday, Wayne North head coach Jabo Fulghum is optimistic.
"They ripped 16 hits the other night in four innings, but last night they had troubles and lost to North Brunswick," Fulghum said. "We will be sending Frederick to the mound and he has been pitching well for us, so I think we have a decent chance."
Babe Ruth Wayne County 9U team prevails
WILSON -- The Wayne County 9U baseball team defeated New Bern 11-1 in opening-round play of the Eastern N.C. State Tournament on Wednesday evening.
Wayne County faces Northview at 4:30 p.m. today.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series