By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 15, 2008 1:32 PM
Chargers spike Fayetteville Christian
Wayne Country Day opened its volleyball season with a 3-2 victory over visiting Fayetteville Christian on Thursday.
Bridgette Briggs contributed eight kills, five digs, two blocks and an ace for the Chargers. Brooke Norris had eight kills, seven digs and two blocks. Jessica Lewis turned in seven kills, five blocks and an ace.
Kim Martell finished with 10 kills and Kayla Flannagan added 10 digs.
Wayne Country Day travels to Wayne Christian on Saturday.
Boys soccer Chargers drop opener
With just two returning starters and not a single senior on its roster, Wayne Country Day held Fayetteville Christian scoreless for 20 minutes before ultimately falling 8-0 on Thursday.
The Chargers started six freshmen and an eighth grader.
"I informed the players this would be a learning experience and I wasn't interested in the final score," said second-year Wayne Country Day head coach Baron Heinemann. "I was pleased with some of what I saw, but I certainly saw plenty of areas that we will be working on."
The Chargers visit Wayne Christian at 9 a.m. on Saturday in the Wayne Christian Invitational.
* Fayetteville Christian 3, Wayne Country Day 0 -- Playing with just one sub, Wayne Country Day was unable to make a scoreless first half hold up and was handed a 3-0 home loss from Fayetteville Christian on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series