Aycock shuts out Fike
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 21, 2008 1:35 PM
WILSON -- Midfielder C.P. Cranford hammered a shot past the keeper in the 28th minute of the second half, and the Golden Falcon defense held strong as Charles B. Aycock topped state-ranked Wilson Fike 1-0 on Wednesday.
Cranford's goal came off of a hectic scrum in front of the Fike net.
"He was just in the right place at the right time," Aycock head coach Kevin Adkins said. "He collected a loose ball just inside the six-yard box and he drilled it."
With the lead in hand, the Golden Falcon defense rose to the occasion.
"Our guys played very well on the defensive end," Adkins said. "I was really pleased with their effort throughout."
Aycock keeper Brandon Davis recorded eight saves in the win. The Golden Falcons outshot the Demons 18-14.
C.B. Aycock (2-0 overall) will be back in action Friday at 4 p.m. when they take on St. Stephen's at the annual Brittany Invitational in Wilson.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series