Bunn bounces Aycock in opener
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 24, 2008 12:13 PM
BUNN -- Charles B. Aycock's season-opening 28-0 loss at Bunn could have been a lot worse.
The Wildcats had three touchdowns called back on penalties and led just 7-0 before scoring 21 points over the final 12:48 of the ballgame.
Bunn turned an Aycock (0-1) fumble into a score in the first quarter. The Wildcats added on to their advantage with Jakai Alston's 46-yard scamper late in the third quarter.
"I hate to lose 28-0, but I'm pleasantly optimistic with what I saw," Golden Falcons head coach Randy Pinkowski said. "To go against a Bunn team that's ranked in the state and to go into the fourth quarter only down 14-0 and still be in the ballgame is big. If our defense continues to play as well as it did and our offense begins to find its rythym we'll be OK."
Bunn quarterback Levon Stanley hooked up with Robert Preston for a 57-yard touchdown pass not two minutes into the final quarter. The Wildcats finished off the Golden Falcons with Richard Dunston's 5-yard run.
Aycock mustered just 66 yards of offense and eight first downs.
The Golden Falcons host Clayton at 7:30 p.m. next Friday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series