Wayne Christian spikers sweep Norlina
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on August 31, 2008 10:49 AM
NORLINA -- Setter Hanna Kaler served a season-high nine aces as Wayne Christian swept Norlina 25-8, 25-16, 25-15 on the Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference volleyball scene Friday afternoon.
Kaler dished out a team-high 15 assists and posted six kills for the Eagles, who improved to 7-2 overall. Middle hitter Kaitlyn Kosuda added five kills, while outside hitter Katie Daniels contributed four kills, one block and four digs.
Britney O'Hara and Haley Greenwood served four and three aces, respectively. Outside hitter Devan Isenhower contributed four kills, while Summer Brathwaite provided three kills.
Wayne Christian entertains CCC foe Crossroads Christian on Tuesday.
Wayne Country Day picked up a 25-19, 25-19, 21-25, 25-23 victory over Harrells Christian on Thursday.
Bridgette Briggs recorded 16 kills, 10 assists, five digs and a block. Jessica Lewis had 12 kills, four blocks and a dig. Kim Martell added eight kills.
Kayla Flanagan contributed 15 digs and Sterling Coggins finished with 10 assists.
The Chargers (3-1 overall) visit Cape Fear Academy on Tuesday.
Eagles fall on road
HENDERSON -- Top-ranked Kerr-Vance Academy successfully defended a late first-half goal and turned back Wayne Christian 1-0 on Thursday afternoon.
Jacob Weymss tallied the lone goal for the Spartans, who eliminated the Eagles from the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association playoffs in a penalty-kick shootout last season.
KVA keeper Levi Coleman recorded eight saves.
The Spartans owned a 15-14 edge in shots on goal.
Wayne Christian (4-1-0 overall) entertains Carolina 1-A Christian opponent Crossroads Christian on Tuesday.
* Harrells Christian volleyball d. Wayne Country Day 18-25, 25-13, 25-8 -- Anna Harris led Wayne Country Day (1-2 overall) with four kills, two assists, two digs, a service ace and a block. Sterling Coggins turned in three assists and Kim Martell had three kills.
* Southern Wayne football d. Wallace-Rose Hill 14-6 -- Southern Wayne used a stout defensive effort to stop Wallace-Rose Hill on Thursday at Thell B. Overman Field. Quintae Bradshaw scored on a 32-yard scoring run and Quinton Smith added a 24-yard scamper. It was the season-opening game for both teams. Southern Wayne visits Farmville Central on Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series