James Kenan at Ayden-Grifton
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 1, 2008 12:03 PM
LITTLEFIELD -- James Kenan quarterback Shawon Darden threw three touchdown passes in a 26-12, non-conference victory over Ayden-Grifton on Saturday evening.
Heavy rains postponed the game on Friday.
Darden completed 6 of 14 passes for a season-high 156 yards. His 35-yard scoring strike to Darius Heslip opened the scoring less than four minutes into the first quarter. Darden completed a 61-yard TD bomb to Dasmine Smith in the second period and a 5-yard TD pass to Josh Hicks in the third quarter.
Victor Parker added a 1-yard TD run in the first quarter. Parker emerged the Tigers' top rusher with 78 yards on 15 totes. Wendell Miller Jr. added 29 yards on six carries.
Hicks and fellow linebacker Alex Monk paced the defense with 14 tackles apiece. Dontrill Hyman and Kendric Faison each contributed 10 tackles for the reigning N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-AA (large-school) state champions.
Faison, Hyman, Heslip and Jamar Rogers each recorded a quarterback sack.
James Kenan (2-0 overall) claimed its 24th consecutive regular-season win and 33rd victory overall in its last 34 outings since 2006.
The Tigers travel to Heide Trask on Friday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Rocky Point.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series