Athletic directors move games to Thursday
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 3, 2008 1:10 PM
While Tropical Storm Hanna churns around Haiti and its final path of destruction not quite determined, area high school athletics directors aren't taking any chances.
Strong winds and heavy rains are expected Friday when Hanna makes landfall on the East coast as a possible Category 2 hurricane, and her awaited arrival has prompted significant changes in schedules involving football teams. As of this morning, five teams have rescheduled their respective contests for Thursday evening.
* Goldsboro (2-0 overall) entertains perennial Class 3-A power Durham Hillside (2-0) at 7:30 p.m.
* Spring Creek (0-2) will play Midway at 6:30 p.m.
* Princeton (1-1) entertains Holly Ridge Dixon at 7 p.m.
* Eastern Wayne (1-1) welcomes unbeaten South Central for a 7 p.m. game at Little Big Horn.
* Defending 1-AA state champion James Kenan (2-0) is the guest of Heide Trask. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Rocky Point.
Charles B. Aycock plans to host to Greene Central on Friday, but could move the game to Monday or to late September since both teams have the same open date.
Coaches from Rosewood, North Duplin and Southern Wayne will more than likely play Monday since they each played this past Monday. None of the coaches felt their teams would be ready with just two days of preparation.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series