By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 12, 2008 1:21 PM
* Football: Goldsboro 20, C.B. Aycock 12 -- Darius Currie rushed for 103 yards and a touchdown on 12 carries for the Cougars. Cortez Sprangle added 88 yards through the air including a 40-yard touchdown pass to Michael Sawyer. Antonio Applewhite had 121 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries for the Golden Falcons. Marques Bryant recorded 105 yards on 15 carries. Goldsboro (1-1 overall) plays host to Southern Wayne next Thursday.
* Tennis: Greene Central d. North Lenoir 7-2 -- Brittany Colie, Hayes Lovett, Caroline Byrd and Dena Turnage all earned singles wins for the Rams. Allison Sugg and Jenna Smith were victorious in singles for the Hawks. The doubles teams of Colie-Byrd, Lauren Carraway-Lovett and Turnage-Suit earned wins for Greene Central. The Rams also defeated Eastern Wayne 6-2 on Wednesday.
* Volleyball: Princeton d. North Duplin 25-10, 25-20 -- Tearra Ammons had three kills for the Rebels (3-3 overall, 1-1 Carolina 1-A).
* Volleyball: North Johnston d. Rosewood 25-22, 25-15 -- Rachel Kornegay had two kills, a block and an ace for the Eagles (4-5 overall, 0-2 Carolina 1-A). Rachyle McAlduff contributed two aces, an assist and a kill.
* Volleybal: Ayden-Grifton d. Spring Creek 25-19, 25-7 -- Spring Creek fell to 0-8 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series