MOC women's golf rained out
By MOC Sports Information
Published in Sports on September 17, 2008 12:58 PM
NEW LONDON -- Heavy rain canceled the second and final round of the Lady Falcon Golf Invitational on Tuesday.
Valentina Urquiola recorded her second top-10 performance in as many tournaments as Mount Olive College finished ninth overall in the 11-team field. Urquiola shot an opening-round 77 on Monday and tied for sixth in individual play.
The Trojans carded a four-player total of 336.
"If we shot a 336 in the first round last week, we would have won the (Anderson) tournament," said Trojans head coach Chip Spiron. "We want to improve, but I'm happy with our score. There were a lot of good teams in this tournament."
Kristin Moberg fired an 83, while Tegan Skirpstas and Deborah Woodrum both finished with an 88. Brooke Newell tallied a 92.
"We would have liked a chance to move up in the standings, but the weather got pretty bad," said Woodrum, a senior from Lincolnton. "We're glad we didn't have to play in the downpour. It's early, but we're off to a good start so far. I think we're all pretty excited about this season."
Mount Olive returns to action Oct. 6-7 at the Lenoir-Rhyne/Myrtle Beach Intercollegiate.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series