By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 19, 2008 12:51 PM
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Senior middle hitter Kristin Smith provided 11 kills and five blocks as Spring Creek turned back North Johnston 27-25, 25-17, 25-21 on the Class 1-A Carolina Conference volleyball scene.
Shaquita Brooks contributed five kills, four blocks and four service aces. Smith added two aces, while Alex Benton posted four kills and one ace.
Randi Oxendine supplied 14 assists and four aces.
The Gators (5-5 overall) evened their Carolina 1-A Conference record at 2-2 and travel to county rival Goldsboro on Monday.
Hawks remain perfect
LaGRANGE -- North Lenoir disposed of Eastern Plains 2-A Conference foe Goldsboro 25-8, 25-7, 25-6 on Thursday.
Heidi Milliken turned in six aces and four kills for the Hawks. Kristen Davenport contributed seven aces and Felicia Johnson added three kills.
North Lenoir (13-0 overall, 4-0 EPC) travels to Greene Central on Tuesday.
Faith stops Falls Road
Faith Christian recorded a 25-15, 25-20, 25-11 home victory over Falls Road Baptist on Thursday.
Kaitlyn Floars pounded out 12 kills and Brooke Anderson chipped in nine kills and a block. Madison Caudle finished with four digs.
The Conquerors (4-2 overall, 4-1 Coastal Region 2-A) travel to Trinity Christian in Greenville today.
Chargers chop Oakwood
Wayne Country Day rolled past Oakwood 25-16, 25-18, 25-17 on Thursday.
Bridgette Briggs handed out seven assists, one kill and one service ace. Brooke Norris tallied five digs, four assists, three kills and two aces. Kayla Flanagan chipped in five digs an ace and a kill, while Sterling Coggins had six assists.
Kim Martell finished with four aces and two kills.
The Chargers (9-2 overall) travel to Rocky Mount Academy today.
Cape Fear Christian converted a pair of direct kicks and shut down the Wayne Christian offense in a 2-0 victory on Thursday afternoon.
Wayne Christian travels to Greenville Christian today.
WCDS tops Oakwood
Jack Langston and Cameron Ford each scored as Wayne Country Day defeated Coastal Plains Independent 1-A member Oakwood 2-0 on Thursday.
Langston got the Chargers on the board in the 19th minute and Ford iced Wayne Country Day's win in the 69th minute with his blast from roughly 35 yards out.
The Chargers (5-10 overall, 1-3 CPIC) visit No. 1-ranked Greenfield today.
EW downs SW
DUDLEY -- Eastern Wayne earned an 8-1 win at Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference rival Southern Wayne on Thursday.
Lindsey Frederick, Mollie Musgrave, Elizabeth Borden, Miller Delbridge, and Kelsi Yates were each victorious in singles play for the Warriors.
Tara Hirsch recorded the Saints' lone singles win.
The doubles teams of Frederick-Musgrave, Daniel-Yates and Borden-Emily Northington also prevailed for Eastern Wayne.
Southern Wayne travels to South Johnston today while Eastern Wayne (5-0 ECC) entertains Wilson Hunt on Tuesday.
WILSON -- Charles B. Aycock defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opponent Wilson Beddingfield 9-0 on Thursday.
Kristen Fischer, Abbey Strickland, Nicole Kessler, Harlie Howard, Alicia Sodoma and Amanda Farmer all recorded singles wins for the Golden Falcons.
Aycock's doubles tandems of Fischer-Hollie Baker, Strickland-Ashley Howell and Farmer-Alexia Torres were also winners.
The Golden Falcons (5-4, 4-1 ECC) visit Southern Wayne on Monday.
Rams knock off NP
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central cruised to a 9-0 Eastern Plains 2-A Conference victory over North Pitt on Thursday.
Elizabeth McLawhorn, Abbey Dail, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray, Abby Sugg and Lauren Carraway each had singles wins for the Rams.
The doubles squads of McLawhorn-Carraway, Taylor-Sugg and Gray-Dail were also victorious.
Greene Central (9-3, 3-0 EPC) visits Farmville Central today.
Gators win pair
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek picked up a 7-1, Carolina/Super Six 1-A win over Wallace-Rose Hill on Thursday.
Jamie Johnson, Rachel Lewis, Jana Kusch, Lauren Player and Ivey Best were winners in singles play for Spring Creek.
Johnson-Lewis and Kusch-Player earned singles wins for the Gators.
On Wednesday, Spring Creek defeated North Johnston 6-3.
Johnson, Lewis, Kusch, and Player recorded singles victories.
Johnson-Lewis and Kusch-Player also tallied doubles wins.
The Gators (4-1 overall, 4-1 C/SS) travel to Rosewood on Monday.
In a recent cross country report, Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price was omitted from winning an event involving Carolina Christian 1-A Conference teams.
Price completed the 3.1-mile course in 22 minutes, 50 seconds for her first victory of the season.
* Football: Goldsboro 28, Southern Wayne 27 -- Southern Wayne failed on a two-point conversion with less than 90 seconds to play, which allowed the Cougars to escape with the victory. Darius Currie rushed for 128 yards and two touchdowns on 13 carries for the Cougars. Cortez Sprangle added 101 yards through the air and two touchdown passes. Willie Sutton led the Goldsboro defense with 12 tackles. Jaquan Cobb rushed for 112 yards and three touchdowns for Southern Wayne. Quintin Smith added an 8-yard touchdown run for the Saints and threw for 42 yards. Goldsboro (2-1 overall) hosts Wilmington Laney next Thursday and Southern Wayne (3-1) entertains Rocky Mount.
* Football: Charles B. Aycock 22, Wilson Fike 20 -- Tyler Farmer compiled 80 yards on the ground and was 2-for-3 through the air for 38 yards and a pair of touchdowns to lead the Golden Falcons. Marques Bryant added 97 yards rushing and three tackles and Elijah Murray contributed five tackles.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 3, Hunt 2 -- Jae Kim rebounded a deflection off his own penalty kick attempt and scored the game-winning goal for the Warriors. Steven Taylor tallied two goals off assists from Anthony Musses and Tyler Muehlenthaler. Eastern Wayne (1-3-1 overall) won its Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference opener.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. North Duplin 25-19, 11-25, 25-23 -- Megan Tyndall led the Eagles with three kills and two aces. Chelsea Sawkiw and Rachel Kornegay each had two kills. Jessica Jones led the Rebels (1-3 Carolina 1-A) with seven aces, four blocks and three kills. Hanna Brock pitched in five aces and four assists. Rosewood (6-5 oiverall, 2-2 Carolina 1-A) visits Princeton on Tuesday.
* Volleyball: North Johnston d. Spring Creek 25-9, 25-17 -- The Gators fell to 0-10 overall and 0-4 in Carolina 1-A Conference.
* Football: Norwayne 14, Brogden 8 -- A.J. Mungle scored two touchdowns for Norwayne including a 65-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Adam Pate. Norwayne visits Rosewood next Thursday.
* Football: Eastern Wayne 34, Rosewood 0 -- Douglas Ashford turned in four touchdown runs and Trey Stevens hauled in a touchdown pass from Nolan James. Eastern Wayne (2-0 overall) squares off with Spring Creek next Thursday.
* Football: Greenwood 22, E.B. Frink 8 -- Jailin Spruiel scored three touchdown's and a two-point conversion for Greenwood. Greenwood (2-0 overall) hosts Grantham next Thursday.
* Football: Mount Olive 30, Spring Creek 20 -- Marcellus Sutton provided 85 yards rushing and a 2-yard touchdown run along with five tackles for Spring Creek. Joevann Santiago chipped in touchdown runs of 20 and 8 yards. Spring Creek (0-2 overall) faces Eastern Wayne next Thursday, while Mount Olive improved to 1-0.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne 2, Rosewood 0 -- Presten Daly scored on an assist from Rene Aguilar and Josh Dixon scored unassisted. The Warriors (4-0, 1-0) host Wayne Country Day on Monday and the Eagles (0-2, 0-1) visit Mount Olive on Monday.
* Volleyball: Grantham d. Dillard 25-9, 12-25, 10-25, 25-9, 15-8 -- Meredith Bass served a game-high three aces, while teammates Kala Overton (two kills) and Amber Murphy recorded two aces apiece. Morgan Powell and Kyana McLean each contributed one kill. Shakiera Campbell had four aces for Dillard and Tatianna Hill added one. Grantham (1-2 overall) entertains Mount Olive on Monday. Dillard (0-2, 0-1) visits Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Eastern Wayne 25-15, 25-8, 25-22-- Holly Heath had three kills for the Eagles. Rosewood (2-0 overall) travels to Mount Olive on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series