By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 23, 2008 1:19 PM
DUDLEY -- Abraham Ponce supplied the game-winning goal in the final four minutes as Southern Wayne edged Kinston 3-2 on the Class 3-A Eastern Carolina Conference men's soccer scene Monday evening.
Ranferi Hernandez put the Saints up 1-0 in the opening half on his third goal of the season. Kinston's Evan Price scored the equalizer just before intermission.
Jesus Rodriguez tallied his fifth goal of the season in the second half, but Price answered again for the Vikings. Ponce knocked in the deciding goal with 3 minutes, 50 seconds remaining in regulation.
Southern Wayne (2-4 overall, 1-1 ECC) is the guest of state-ranked Wilson Hunt on Wednesday, and visits Wilson Beddingfield on Thursday.
Warriors win thriller
WILSON -- Eastern Wayne's Sang Kim scored his second goal of the evening in the 80th minute to push the Warriors past Wilson Beddingfield 2-1 in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference soccer action on Monday.
Richie Riddle got the assist on Kim's decisive goal. Kim scored in the 20th minute on a double assist from Nick Bowden and Riddle.
The Bruins' Rick Diaz tied the match in the 78th minute.
Eastern Wayne (2-4 overall, 2-1 ECC) entertains county archrival Charles B. Aycock on Wednesday. Kickoff is 7 p.m.
Faith Christian easily dispatched Bethel Christian in three games 25-15. 25-18, 25-17 on Monday.
Rebecca Smith dished out 15 assists in the victory. Brooke Anderson led the Conqueror attack with seven kills.
Faith Christian plays host to Berean Christian on Sept. 30.
Gators sweep Cougars
Kristin Smith delivered seven kills as Spring Creek downed Goldsboro 25-12, 25-16, 25-7 on Monday.
Randi Oxendine tallied 10 assists for the Gators. Shaquita Brooks chipped in four service aces, two blocks and five kills.
Stacie Harris served six aces. Alex Benton supplied two aces and four kills.
Spring Creek (6-5 overall) battles archrival North Duplin in Seven Springs today.
Golden Falcons soar
DUDLEY -- Charles B. Aycock defeated Eastern Carolina 3-A foe Southern Wayne 8-1 on Monday.
Kristen Fischer, Hollie Baker, Abbey Strickland, Nicole Kessler and Harlie Howard each earned a win in singles play for Aycock.
The teams of Fisher-Baker, Ashley Howell-Strickland and Alicia Sodoma-Kessler swept the doubles matches for the Golden Falcons.
Tara Hirsch prevailed in singles for the Saints.
Aycock (6-4 overall, 5-1 ECC) will play host to Kinston today.
Gators ace Eagles
Spring Creek took less than an hour to defeat Carolina/Super Six 1-A Conference foe Rosewood on Monday.
The Gators won the singles-only match thanks to individual victories by Jaime Johnson, Rachel Lewis, Jana Kutsch, Lauren Player, Ivey Best and Jessica Pittman.
Spring Creek (5-1 overall) faces North Duplin on Wednesday at Mount Olive College.
SNOW HILL -- Greene Central swept doubles play as they defeated Greenfield School 8-1 on Monday.
Elizabeth McLawhorn, Lauren Carraway, Samantha Taylor, Jessica Gray and Abby Sugg each win in singles action for the Rams.
The teams of McLawhorn-Carraway, Taylor-Sugg and Abbey Dail-Gray each prevailed in doubles.
Greene Central (11-3 overall) plays host to North Lenoir today.
Reeves takes meet
WILSON -- Jasmine Reeves earned medalist honors for the third consecutive match with a nine-hole round of 43 during an Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference meet at Wedgewood Golf Course on Monday.
Taylor Reaves finished one stroke behind and helped Southern Wayne take the team portion of the meet with a 143. Wilson Hunt ended up second at 154, followed by 2007 ECC champion Eastern Wayne (166). Wilson Beddingfield was fourth at 175.
The Saints hold a seven-stroke advantage in the team championship chase.
Taylor Scott and Dorian Edwards complemented Reaves' effort with a 49 and 50, respectively. Mallory Gray also participated in the four-team meet.
Hannah Grantham followed up Reeves' performance with a 59 for the Warriors. Katie Barrow rounded out the team scoring with a 65. Sydney Strocks and Emily Deal also competed for Eastern Wayne.
Lauren Larison (62) and Jennifer Stewart (69) represented Charles B. Aycock, which didn't have enough players to field a team score.
The next ECC meet is Oct. 6 at Lane Tree Golf Club.
Cougars enter scene
PRINCETON -- The Goldsboro High School girls golf team competed in its first-ever match on Monday afternoon at Cardinal Golf Club.
The Cougars battled North Johnston and Princeton. Participants for Goldsboro were Jessica Rouse, K'Keyah Thomas, Mandy Moye and Jasmine Laurel.
The Cougars entertain North Johnston on Oct. 6 at Goldsboro Municipal Golf Course.
WILSON -- Josh Magnus set a new course record with a time of 17 minutes and 53 seconds as Wayne Christian captured the Wilson Christian Invitational on Monday.
Justin Brathwaite finished second for the Eagles in 19:38, while teammate Connor Jones came in third with a time of 19:44.
In the girls' meet, Wayne Christian's Jennifer Price finished fourth overall in 24 minutes and five seconds. Kayla Kennedy was the second Eagle to cross the finish line, in 30:29.
Wayne Christian visits Eastern Wayne today.
* Soccer: Eastern Wayne d. C.B. Aycock 3-0 -- Tyler Muehlenthaler notched one goal and two assists for the Warriors in their Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference battle at Pikeville. Steven Taylor and Corey Skinner recorded one goal apiece. Josh Hahn provided an assist. Goal keeper Jordan Ferguson collected nine saves. Eastern Wayne (2-3-1 overall, 2-0 ECC) entertains C.B. Aycock on Wednesday.
* Tennis: Wayne Christian d. Eastern Wayne 7-2 -- Brooke Barfield, Faith Sutton, Sam Reaves, Jentry Carlisle and Lindsey Whaley each won in singles play for the Eagles. Leslie Wiggins won the Warriors' only singles point. The tandems of Barfield-Sutton and Reaves-Carlyle each captured a doubles point for Wayne Christian. The team of Kristen Baddour-Wiggins earned a doubles point for Eastern Wayne.
* Volleyball: Norwayne d. Greenwood 25-22, 25-19, 25-5 -- Regan Herndon led the Cobras with 16 service points. Norwayne improved to 4-0 on the season.
* Volleyball: Dillard d. Eastern Wayne 25-6, 14-25, 25-19, 25-14 -- Leiza Greenfield racked up 24 points on serve for Dillard. Teammate Shakira Campbell contributed five service aces and seven kills. Dillard improved 1-2 overall.
* Volleyball: Rosewood d. Mount Olive 25-15, 25-21, 18-25, 25-15 -- Anna Ingram led the Eagles with 11 aces. Scout Andersona and Ellen Morgan each contributed ten aces for Rosewood. The Eagles (3-0 overall) travel to Norwayne on Thursday.
* Soccer: Greenwood d. Norwayne 6-0 -- Allan Odom scored twice for Greenwood. Adrian Guitterez, Collin Zacharzuk, Addison Vail and Bailey Lynch added one goal apiece. Lynch also contributed two assists in the win.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series