Local sports digest
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on September 28, 2008 12:12 AM
It was a Senior Day to remember.
Josh Powers, one of three seniors playing his final regular-season home game, scored the game-winning goal in the third minute as Wayne Christian routed Northwood 6-0 on Friday afternoon.
Powers hooked up with fellow senior Jay Kornegay on the Eagles' next strike to make it 2-0. Chris Easom concluded the first-half scoring on Jordan Crouthamel's assist as the midfield worked to spread the field and open up the offense.
Crouthamel started the second-half scoring on a header off Kyle Sasser's assist. Powers added a goal off Kornegay's assist and Powers assisted Sasser on the game's final goal.
Wayne Christian freshman keeper Seth Slusher notched four saves in goal.
The Eagles (9-6 overall) improved to 5-3 in Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference play. They travel to Community Christian, which is riding a six-game win streak, on Tuesday.
Magnus, Price shine
Wayne Christian's Josh Magnus and Jennifer Price continued their season-long dominance on the cross country scene with individual victories against Faith Christian of Rocky Mount on Friday afternoon.
Magnus ran the 3.1-mile course in 18 minutes and 13 seconds as Eagle runners claimed five of the top six spots, and finished with nine competitors among the top 10. Justin Brathwaite took second in 18:53, followed by Connor Jones (19:32) and Noah Kearney (20:26).
Mark Sawyer crossed the line sixth in 20:33. Will Massey (22:59) and Matthew Laramee (30:40) claimed eighth and ninth, respectively.
Meanwhile, Price ran a steady time of 22:52 to take the girls' portion of the dual meet. The Eagles' Kayla Kennedy (30:21) and Katherine Laramee (36:35) ended up third and fourth, respectively.
Faith Christian did not have enough runners to field a team score.
Wayne Christian concluded its home season with a 25-17, 25-17, 25-18 sweep of Carolina 1-A Christian opponent Northwood Temple at Clifford Gymnatorium.
Seniors Katie Daniels and Allison Rose were honored before the match. Daniels finished with 11 kills, while Rose contributed four service aces.
The Eagles (12-5 overall, 10-1 CCC) travel to Bethel Christian next Thursday.
* Football: Rocky Mount 37, Southern Wayne 34 -- The Saints' Quintin Smith threw for two touchdowns and ran for another. Miante Artis tacked on a 35-yard touchdown run and recorded 12 tackles along with two fumble recoveries on defense. Tobias Flow had a 1-yard touchdown run and Delfawn Worrells hauled in a 35-yard touchdown pass and also had an interception. Dylan Jacobs, Minek Ford and Devonte Artis each had sacks for Southern Wayne. The Saints (3-2 overall) face county archrival Eastern Wayne on Oct. 9.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series