James Kenan remains unbeaten
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on November 2, 2008 12:48 AM
CLINTON -- James Kenan got three touchdowns from Jamar Rogers and held on to defeat Class 1-A Super Six Conference rival Union 28-14 on Friday night.
The No. 1-ranked Tigers (10-0 overall, 4-0 SS) clinched at least a share of their third consecutive conference championship. James Kenan claimed its 32nd straight regular-season victory.
Rogers' 4-yard plunge gave the Tigers a 7-0 lead. Dasmine Smith added a 13-yard scamper five minutes later to make it 14-0.
Union answered with two touchdowns to forge a 14-14 at halftime.
The Tigers were too tough to tame in the fourth quarter.
Rogers scored his second touchdown of the game with 10 minutes remaining. After a failed Union drive, the star tailback found the end zone for the third time on a 5-yard run.
Kendric Faison, Alex Monk and Josh Hicks paced the James Kenan defense with 11 tackles apiece. Hicks had a team-leading nine unassisted stops, while Monk had eight.
Anthony Kennedy and Dontrill Hyman each recorded a quarterback sack.
Rogers picked off a Union pass.
James Kenan concludes regular-season play Friday at county archrival Wallace-Rose Hill. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. at Thell B. Overman Field.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series