By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on November 13, 2008 1:46 PM
DUDLEY -- Southern Wayne jumped out to a 14-11 lead after one quarter and never looked back en route to a 59-43 win over Spring Creek's varsity girls basketball team Wednesday night.
Lynnesha Leonard poured in 14 points for the Saints. Kayla Powell added 12 points and eight rebounds in the win. Octavia Lee rounded out the list of Southern Wayne players in double figures with 10 points.
"I thought we played pretty well considering it was the first night," said Saints head coach Ricky Lofton. "We have some chemistry issues with girls not really knowing each other, or where each other is supposed to be, but those will work themselves out."
The Gators had a balanced offensive attack.
Melanique Deveaux led Spring Creek with 11 points, while Elizabeth Edwards and Shaquita Brooks each recorded nine points, respectively. Norma Valentin led the Gators with nine rebounds.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series