Trojan men off to 0-2 start
By News-Argus Staff
Published in Sports on November 17, 2008 1:46 PM
SALISBURY -- No. 18-ranked Mount Olive College pulled within one point in the closing seconds, but No. 20-ranked Catawba College held on for a 68-65 victory Sunday in the Catawba College Classic.
Trailing by four with less than 60 seconds remaining, the Trojans (0-2 overall) caught a break when Catawba missed the front end of a one-and-one opportunity. Derek Staton's old-fashioned three-point play helped MOC climb within 66-65 with 44 seconds to go.
Catawba added two free throws in the final 30 seconds and Mount Olive missed a game-tying 3-pointer with three seconds on the clock.
Kendrick Easley paced the Trojans with 11 points, while Kason Cheeks added a career-best 10 points. Mike Holloman collected game highs of six assists and three steals.
Catawba owned a 10-point advantage at the free throw and took 14 more attempts than Mount Olive.
The Trojans return to action Friday in the 43rd annual Pickle Classic at Kornegay Arena. MOC faces No. 14-ranked Lenoir-Rhyne and then battles USC-Aiken, ranked No. 1 in one preseason poll, on Saturday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series