By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on November 20, 2008 1:46 PM
Wayne Country Day's Will Nolan seized two first-place finishes during a three-team swim meet contested Wednesday evening at the Goldsboro Family Y.
Nolan touched the wall in 25.45 seconds to take the 50-yard freestyle and posted a time of 1:02.10 in the 100 free. Teammate Thomas Elmore placed fourth in the 50 free and third in the 100 free. The duo qualified for the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association Classes 1-A/2-A state meet.
The Chargers' 200-yard free relay of Ravi Chatilla, Thomas Yarboro, Elmore and Nolan placed second behind Parrott Academy. Elmore, Nolan, Yarboro and Walker Malphrus took third in the 200 medley relay.
On the girls' side, Ellen Elmore ended up second in the 200 free and fourth in the 50 free. Teammate Rebecca Thompson finished runner-up in the 50 free and fourth in the 100 free. Both qualified for the season-ending state championship meet.
Elmore, Thompson, Char Yarboro and Ama Zbarrea combined to place third in the 200 medley relay. Zbarrea, Elmore, Thompson and Rebecca Draughon worked to a second-place finish in the 200 free relay.
Zbarrea was second in the 100 breaststroke and eighth in the 50 free.
Parrott Academy won the boy's team portion with 353 points and its girls took first with 205 points. Rocky Mount Academy also competed.
Saints lose heartbreaker
DUDLEY -- New Hanover escaped with a 62-61, non-conference win at Southern Wayne on Tuesday.
Rashard Hill led the Saints with 13 points and 12 rebounds. Desmond Raiford provided 12 points.
Jakiel Moore scored a game-high 14 points for New Hanover.
Southern Wayne (1-2 overall) visits Goldsboro tonight.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 40, Terra Ceia 19 -- Brooke Barfield led all scorers with 16 points for the Eagles. Courtney Barrow and Katie Isenhower each chipped in six points respectively.
* Boys' basketball: Norwayne 38, Grantham 34 -- A.J. Mundle poured in 18 points as the Cobras captured their season opener. The Bulldogs were led by eight points from D.J. Massey. Norwayne will battle Dillard on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 35, Grantham 10 -- Brittany Williams scored seven points to lead the Cobra offense. Quinika Artis and Meredith Burroughs each scored six points respectively in the win.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series