By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on November 23, 2008 12:38 AM
KINSTON -- Hanna Kaler delivered a double-double as Wayne Christian bested Bethel Academy 50-35 on Friday night.
Kaler finished with 19 points and 12 rebounds, while teammate Carly Hightower chipped in 13 points. Kayla Kennedy and Alaina Moore each scored seven points respectively.
Wayne Christian improved to 2-1 on the season.
WHITEVILLE -- Wayne Country Day remained unbeaten with a 53-15 win over Waccamaw on Friday night.
Catherine Ford led the Chargers with 20 points. Sarah Best was the only other player in double figures with 10.
Wayne Country Day improved to 5-0 overall.
SEVEN SPRINGS -- Spring Creek never woke its slumbering offense and dropped a 39-23 decision to South Lenoir in non-conference basketball action on Friday night in the swamp.
The Devils built a 17-10 halftime lead on the strong foundation provided by forwards Tyquilla Graham and Shaquita Jones (20 points, 14 rebounds).
The Gators could not match South Lenoir's presence in the paint.
Melanique Deveaux led the Gators (0-3 overall) with eight points. Shaquita Brooks added seven points and eight rebounds.
Wayne Country Day used some stifling first quarter defense as they raced out to a 24-0 advantage and routed Epiphany 64-22 on Thursday.
Brandon McCarter led the Chargers offensively with 12 points. Hil Tanner and Rashid Williams each added ten points respectively.
Wayne Country Day improved to 3-1 on the season.
KINSTON -- Wayne Christian dropped a 58-41, non-conference decision at Bethel Academy on Friday.
Colton Woods paced the Eagles with 17 points. Luke Howell added 10 points and six rebounds.
Wayne Christian (1-2 overall) will travel to Cape Fear Christian on Tuesday.
* Girls' Basketball: Wayne Christian 33, Bethel Academy 11 -- Brooke Barfield led all scorers with 14 points. Courtney Barrow and Katie Isenhower each scored six points in the win. Isenhower also grabbed 10 rebounds.
* Boys' Basketball: Wayne Christian 64, Bethel Academy 33 -- Chase King led the Eagles with his third consecutive double-double. King had 18 points and 10 rebounds.
* Boys' Basketball: Eastern Wayne 57, Brogden 52 (OT) -- Nolan James led the balanced Warrior attack with 14 points. Lee Atkinson added 13 in the win. Rannell Outlaw paced Brogden with a game-high 22 points. Eastern Wayne improved to 2-0 overall, while Brogden fell to 1-1.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series