Local preps digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 5, 2008 1:46 PM
One of three players to register a double-double, Millicent Kornegay snared a career-high 18 rebounds and pumped in 12 points as Goldsboro handled Southern Nash 53-31 on Thursday evening.
Akeyanna Whitlor contributed 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Cougars, who climbed to 5-2 overall. Guard Ki'Ana Williams provided game highs of 18 points and 10 assists. Williams has scored in double figures in all seven games this season, while Whitlor has accomplished the feat on five occasions.
The Cougars led 40-19 with 1 minute, 3 seconds left in the third quarter. The Ladybirds (1-2) converted two turnovers into baskets and used an 8-0 run during a two-minute stretch to trim the deficit to 40-27.
After a timeout, Goldsboro responded with an 11-4 surge, including Whitlor's 3-pointer off Williams' assist.
Tiffany Pearsall pulled down eight rebounds for the Cougars, while teammate Zearra McDuffie tallied four third-quarter points off assists from Williams.
Goldsboro is the guest of county rival Charles B. Aycock today.
Dawgs pin Gators
PRINCETON -- Six Spring Creek grapplers walked away with individual triumphs, but Princeton claimed the team win, 36-33, on Thursday evening.
Raheem Fuller, Garrett Lewis, Daniel Richter, Ryan McCabe, David Hernandez and heavyweight Josh Rodriguez each picked up points for the Gators. Richter and Rodriguez pinned their respective opponents.
Additional details were not available.
Spring Creek (1-4 overall) returns to action Tuesday at Ayden-Grifton.
* Boys' basketball: Goldsboro 69, Southern Nash 49 -- The Cougars used a fourth-quarter 17-3 run to claim their fourth victory of the season. Mike Sawyer led a balanced offense with 12 points. Jarran Reed chipped in 10 points. Octavius Alston, Adan Hobbs and Andre Robinson contributed eight points apiece. Goldsboro (4-1 overall) travels to C.B. Aycock today.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 25, Bethel Christian 18 -- Wayne Christian's Brooke Barfield scored a game-high 11 points and Katie Isenhower pulled down 12 rebounds to go with five steals.
* Boys' basketball: Grantham 50, Dillard 32 -- Drake Shaw had 14 points to lead Grantham and Joshua Edwards and Ashton Cox pitched in six and five points respectively. Kintrell Teachey scored 14 for Dillard (1-3). Grantham (1-3 overall, 0-1) visits Brogden on Monday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 38, Bethel Christian 34 -- Dylan Smith paced the Eagles with 13 points, four steals, four assists and two blocks. Gregory Johnson finished with 11 points, six rebounds and three steals. Tyler Lacerta had nine points and four rebounds and Baron Wise added five points and four steals.
* Boys' basketball: Eastern Wayne 55, Rosewood 25 -- Eastern Wayne's Lee Atkinson led all scorers with 13 points and Gary Cox supplied eight points. Nolan James had six points and LaMorris Pridgen pitched in five. Dee Mabry scored eight points for Rosewood. The Warriors (3-1 overall) entertain Dillard on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 36, Brogden 7 -- Taylor Tindle led Norwayne with 10 points and Quanika Artis added six. Norwayne (3-0, 1-0) visits Greenwood on Monday while Brogden fell to 1-3.
* Girls' basketball: Eastern Wayne 42, Rosewood 30 -- Kaceia Exum finished with a game-high 17 points for the Warriors and Divonnie Powell contributed eight points. Grace Delbridge had seven points. Logan Bill led Rosewood with seven points. Eastern Wayne (4-0 overall) plays host to Dillard on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series