Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 7, 2008 2:00 AM
Lindsey Godwin scored a game-high 16 points and Faith Christian dispatched of Falls Road 54-23 on Friday night.
Alyssa Hill played a complete game in the win, she scored nine points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out six assists. Madison Caudle added eight points for Faith.
The Conquerors improved to 3-2 overall. They travel to Bethel Christian on Monday.
Cougar girls now 6-2
PIKEVILLE -- Goldsboro received a game-high 18 points from Ki'Ana Williams and held on to defeat Charles B. Aycock 41-35 on Friday evening.
The Cougars outscored the Golden Falcons 17-6 during the second quarter thanks to nine points from Williams as Goldsboro took a 25-13 lead into intermission.
C.B. Aycock rallied and Kelby Dumond's 3 late in the third had the deficit down to 37-30 with one quarter to play.
Neither team maintained its offensive rhythm in the final period as the two clubs combined for just nine fourth-quarter points and the Golden Falcons got no closer than 39-35.
Millicent Kornegay provided nine points for the Cougars (6-2) and Zeara McDuffie had eight.
Camille Williams led Aycock (0-7) with 14 points and Courtnei Gilbert supplied eight.
Dawgs dealt defeat
PRINCETON -- Princeton's undefeated, non-conference run ended Friday night with a 34-27 loss to Midway.
The Bulldogs, who won their first five games, suffered through an icy shooting night that included only one 3-point basket and a 6 for 18 effort from the foul line.
Despite the offensive woes, the Bulldogs kept the game managable in the opening half. Stiff perimeter defense and some timely takeaways led to a 13-13 tie atthe intermission.
Midway pulled away in the third quarter on the strength of an 8-0 run to open the period.
The Dawgs never recovered.
Princeton (5-1 overall) was led by Tiffine Battle's 11-point outing. Brittany Baker added five and Jill Whitley chipped in four points.
Kellie Blackman and Jasmine Rich each scored eight points respectivey for the Raiders.
Rosewood never found its offensive rhythm and dropped a 37-27 decision to Rocky Mount Prep.
Shantal Johnson and Paige Babb led the Eagles with seven points apiece. Chirstina Bruton contributed six points.
Rosewood suffered through some poor early offense and could not recover as the fell to Rocky Mount Prep 63-38 on Friday night.
James Harris paced the balanced Eagle offense with nine points. Cody Harris added eight markers and Joseph Willis chipped in seven.
The Eagles (2-2 overall) will travel to Midway on Tuesday.
Faith Christian placed three scorers in double figures and knocked off Falls Road 73-65 on Friday evening.
Brad Floars led the Conquerors with 27 points including five 3's. Silas Dinlinger added 16 points. Chris Powell provided 10 points.
Faith (5-2 overall) visits Bethel Christian in Kinston on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 20, Falls Road 18 -- Charity Spencer paced the Conquerors' offense with a game-high 15 points. Faith improved to 2-0 overall. The Conquerors will be back in action on Monday at Bethel Christian in Kinston.
* Boys' basketball: Faith Christian 35, Falls Road 18 -- Aaron Hill scored a team-high 11 points as the Conquerors improved to 2-1 on the season. Brandon Jones added six points and Wes Caudle chipped in five.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series