By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on December 13, 2008 11:33 PM
SPIVEY'S CORNER -- David Gurganus finished with 30 points and five assists as Princeton picked up a 69-58, non-conference win at Midway on Friday evening.
Patrick Jacobs scored 10 points for the Bulldawgs and Benton Myers added nine. Andre Nixon supplied seven points and eight rebounds. Matt Williamson and Dylan Myers each recorded six points apiece.
Princeton (4-5 overall) entertains Louisburg on Wednesday.
Eagles top Northwood
FAYETTEVILLE -- Luke Howell poured in a career-high 35 points and grabbed nine rebounds as Wayne Christian knocked off Northwood Temple 65-62 in Carolina Christian 1-A Conference play Friday evening.
Howell converted 13 of 24 shots from the floor and connected on 9 of 10 free throws. Teammate Colton Woods provided 11 points and eight rebounds.
Wayne Christian improved to 3-7 overall and 2-2 against CCC opposition this season. The Eagles play again Jan. 6 at Trinity Academy of Raleigh.
Rebels go down
CALYPSO -- Quentin Graham knocked down a team-high 15 points as North Duplin dropped a 73-42, non-conference decision to Hobbton on Friday evening.
Marcus Kornegay added 11 points for the Rebels, who remained winless in four outings this season. Akeem Cox added eight points and picked the Wildcats for three steals.
Hobbton, which swept the regular-season series, spotted North Duplin the first seven points of the game. The Wildcats took their first lead at 12-11 in the second quarter and owned a 30-17 advantage at halftime.
The deficit grew for the Rebels in the second half.
Wildcats coach Kenny Bass emptied his bench for the final quarter. Terrence Robinson led the visitors with 18 points, while Mallard Newkirk added 17. Michael Williams and Dushon Barksdale contributed nine and eight points, respectively.
North Duplin had 13 team assists on 14 field goals.
Saints drop Cougars
DUDLEY - Southern Wayne played its best game of the early season and bested county rival Goldsboro 62-48 on Friday night.
The teams looked evenly matched in the first quarter as the Cougars grabbed a 17-16 lead.
Southern Wayne's offense came alive in the second period to the tune of 25 points. The Saints' halfcourt defense and hot shooting pushed them to a 41-24 halftime advantage.
The Cougars (7-3 overall) fought back in the second half, but the deficit was too much to overcome.
On the night, Zearra McDuffie and Akeyanna Whitler led the Goldsboro attack with 14 points apiece. Kianna Williams added 10 points.
The Saints (2-7) were led by 17 points from Octavia Lee. Lynnesha Leonard added 16 points and eight rebounds. Kayla Powell rounded out the Saints in double figures with 11 points.
ROCKY MOUNT -- Christina Bruton collected nine points as Rosewood edged Rocky Mount Prep 33-30 in non-conference play Friday evening.
Laura Vinson and Angelica Knight supplied eight points apiece.
The Eagles (2-5 overall) are the guests of Wayne Country Day on Monday.
Road unkind to Eagles
FAYETTEVILLE -- Wayne Christian dropped a 44-38 decision at Carolina Christian 1-A Conference foe Northwood Temple on Friday evening.
Julia Oden paced the Eagles with 13 points and Hanna Kaler provided nine points. Carly Hightower finished with six points.
Wayne Christian (5-3 overall, 2-2 CCC) returns to action Jan. 6 at Trinity Academy-Raleigh.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 53, Northwood Temple 48 -- Chase Darden led Wayne Christian with 14 points and five rebounds. Chase King provided 12 points and 15 rebounds and Gregory Alexander and Jordan Crouthamel each had nine points. Anthony Mulligan added eight points and 10 rebounds. The Eagles (5-4 overall, 3-1 Carolina Christian 1-A) plays host to Cresset Christian on Jan 10.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 36, Northwood Temple 32 -- Wayne Christian's Tyler Lacerta led all scorers with 14 points, four rebounds, four assists and three steals. Gregory Johnson supplied 12 points, three blocks, two rebounds and a steal. Dylan Smith chipped in eight points, with nine rebounds, six steals, six assists and a block. Vincent Magnarella pitched in 10 rebounds.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series