By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on December 18, 2008 1:46 PM
TRENTON -- Southern Wayne got its offense on track early and never looked back as it punished Jones Senior 72-48 on Wednesday night.
The Saints built a 20-point lead on 65-percent shooting from the floor in the opening half.
Southern Wayne showcased a balanced attack with Dwight Smith leading the way. Smith scored 15 points while teammate Desmond Raiford added 14. Rashard Hill contributed 13 points.
Justin Artis directed the Southern Wayne onslaught with six assists.
The Saints (7-4 overall) return to action Dec. 29 in the inaugural Saints Christmas Classic.
KENLY -- Charles B. Aycock earned its second win in a two-week span over North Johnston with a 53-40 victory on Wednesday night.
Isaac Ryals led the Golden Falcons' offense with 14 points. Tyheim Pitt added nine points in the win.
Bryan Williams scored a game-high 16 points for the Panthers.
C.B. Aycock (9-2 overall) travels to Rosewood tonight.
Dawgs dealt defeat
PRINCETON -- A cold start plagued the Princeton offense and a 15-point, first-quarter deficit was too much to overcome in a 58-49, non-conference loss to Louisburg on Wednesday evening.
David Gurganus continued his strong early-season offensive start with 21 points to lead the Bulldogs. Andre Nixon added eight points and pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds.
Princeton (4-6 overall) visits Union on Monday.
E. Wayne goes down
WILSON -- Josh Hahn and heavyweight Zach Myers each recorded a pin during Eastern Wayne's 52-24 loss to Wilson Hunt in Eastern Carolina 3-A Conference action Tuesday evening.
Hahn (119 pounds) pinned Hunt's Matthew Fallows in 1 minute, 13 seconds. Myers, a first-year starter and transfer from Florida, pinned Ugo Okwaraogoma in the same time.
Zach Hahn earned an 8-2 decision over Hunt's Chase Randall at 140 pounds. Teammates Tyler Wallace squeezed out a 10-9 decision over Jake Britt at 103 pounds, while 112-pounder Roderick Ayers collected a forfeit.
Eastern Wayne (2-3, 1-1 ECC) yielded three forfeits and five pins to Hunt, which grabbed sole possession of the conference lead at 2-0.
Wilson Hunt 52
Eastern Wayne 24
103 -- Tyler Wallace (EW) dec. Jake Britt, 10-9; 112 -- Roderick Ayers (EW) by forfeit; 119 -- Josh Hahn (EW) wbf Matthew Fallows, 1:13; 125 -- Spencer Rhem (H) by forfeit; 130 -- David High (H) wbf Monroe Simmons, 1:19; 135 -- Bradley Williams (H) wbf Corbin Harris, 3:03; 140 -- Zach Hahn (EW) dec. Chase Randall, 8-2; 145 -- Ashton Bass (H) by forfeit; 152 -- Cody Parris (H) by forfeit; 160 -- Spencer Miller (H) wbf Cody Britt, 4:35; 171 -- Robert Ladd (H) maj. dec. Cameron Herring, 13-3; 189 -- Gilbert Niez (H) wbf Logan Wicks, 4:33; 215 -- Kenneth Hertling (H) wbf James Barrett, 1:44; Hwt -- Zach Myers (EW) wbf Ugo Okwaraogoma, 1:13.
Records: Eastern Wayne 2-3, 1-1 Eastern Carolina 3-A; Hunt 3-4, 2-0 ECC.
Next match: Saturday, Eastern Wayne at J.A. Holmes (Edenton)
SNOW HILL -- Northern Nash used a stingy defense and some timely shooting to top Greene Central 46-21 on Wednesday night.
Shanice Pettiway led the Rams with eight points. Tia Jones added five points in the loss.
Greene Central (5-5 overall) will take part in the Wilson Times Holiday Classic on Dec. 27.
* Girls' basketball: Charles B. Aycock 31, North Johnston 25 -- Kayla Williams scored a game-high 12 points for the Golden Falcons who earned their second win of the season over the Panthers. C.B. Aycock travels to Rosewood tonight.
* Boys' basketball: Greenwood 45, Dillard 30 -- Julius Murphy paced the T-Bird offense with 10 points. Kerron Howell added nine points and 12 rebounds in the win. Greenwood improved to 5-0 overall.
* Boys' basketball: Grantham 36, Rosewood 32 -- Grantham earned its second win of the season with a triumph over Rosewood on Wednesday. The Bulldogs (2-7 overall) were led by 16 points from DJ Massey, teammate C.J. Brown added nine. Kintrell Teachey pumped in 14 points for the Eagles.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series