Local preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on December 21, 2008 2:00 AM
Eastern Wayne's Danielle Daniel looks to shoot as a Wilson Fike player defends during their non-conference game on Friday evening in New Hope.
Eastern Wayne erased an eight-point, third-quarter deficit, but Wilson Fike pulled away for a 56-50, non-conference girls' basketball victory Friday evening.
The Warriors (3-5 overall) surrendered two quick baskets to start the third quarter, but stormed back. Danielle Daniel buried her second 3-pointer to tie the game at 44-44 just moments into the fourth quarter.
Tied at 50-50 with 60 seconds left in regulation, Fike guard Jameka Thompson sank a free throw. The Demons converted a turnover into points and a second Eastern Wayne miscue put Fike in control.
Warrior head coach Brent Holland encouraged his crew to foul to stop the clock and save time. Fike sealed the outcome with steady free throw shooting. The Demons converted 16 of 24 foul shots compared to 6 of 13 for the Warriors.
Daniel, Tiarra McIntyre and Tia Jones each scored 12 points for the Warriors. Fike's Lindsey Orr led all scorers with 13 points.
Eastern Wayne returns to action Monday at Jones Senior.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series