Local Preps Digest
By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on December 31, 2008 1:46 PM
ROBERSONVILLE -- Tournament Most Valuable Player Demetrio Irby poured in 29 points as Goldsboro defeated Roanoke 72-61 in the championship game of the Roanoke Christmas Tournament on Tuesday evening.
Tyrelle Jackson added 18 points for the Cougars. Rasean Brewington and Michael Langston chipped in seven points apiece.
Princeton claimed third-place honors with a 71-68 overtime victory over J.A. Holmes. All-tournament selection David Gurganus pumped in a game-high 30 points. Andre Nixon contributed a double-double -- 18 points, 10 rebounds.
T.J. Wilson tallied nine points.
Goldsboro (10-5 overall) returns to action Jan. 9, 2009 at Tarboro in the Class 2-A Eastern Plains Conference opener for both teams. Meanwhile, Princeton (5-8) travels to Hobbton on Jan. 7, 2009.
Union pounds ND
CLINTON -- North Duplin fell behind 44-19 in the opening half and never recovered in an 83-38, non-conference loss at Union on Tuesday night.
Quentin Graham paced the Rebels with 11 points, while senior center Blake King pitched in 10.
North Duplin (0-7 overall) entertains Lakewood on Monday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series