Local Preps Digest
By Ryan Hanchett
Published in Sports on January 9, 2009 1:46 PM
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 41, Dillard 18 -- Holly Heath led all scorers with 12 points for the Eagles as they improved to 5-2 on the season. Amanda Beckert added seven points in the win. Rosewood will host Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Eastern Wayne 31, Grantham 11 -- Divonnie Powell finished with a game high 16 points and 13 steals for the Warriors. Elondia Grant pitched in four points and seven steals and Samantha James added three points. Kellygrace Keen and Taylor Parker each had three points for the Bulldogs. Eastern Wayne (8-1) visits Rosewood on Monday.
* Girls' basketball: Greenville Christian 33, Wayne Christian 26 -- Brooke Barfield scored 17 points to go with six steals for Wayne Christian. Teammate Kaylee Wallace grabbed five rebounds.
* Boys' basketball: Grantham 39, Eastern Wayne 38 -- Lee Atkinson led the Warriors with 11 points and M.J. Morgan chipped in nine. C.J. Brown scored a game-high 14 points for Grantham. Eastern Wayne (4-5 overall, 1-3 WCMSAC Division I) visits Dillard on Monday before hosting Greenwood on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Greenville Christian 54, Wayne Christian 27 -- Wayne Christian's Dylan Smith led all scorers with 13 points and had four rebounds, three assists and one block. Gregory Johnson contributed eight points, three rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot. Tyler Lacerta had five points, three boards and two assists.
* Boys' basketball: Greenwood 42, Mount Olive 39 -- Keron Howell scored 16 points and 10 rebouns for Greenwood. Jalin Spruill provided 10 points, eight rebounds and two assists. Jaelen Johnson had seven points and 16 rebounds. Jamiel Price paced Mount Olive with 18 points and Andrew Matthews had 12. Greenwood improved to 8-0 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series