Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 12, 2009 1:46 PM
Trailing Trinity Christian 21-10 at halftime on Friday night, Faith Christian's girls' utilized a 1-3-1 full-court press which forced multiple turnovers and helped the Conquerors rally for a 44-38 home victory.
Alyssa Hill scored 16 points for Faith and Lindsey Godwin added 10. Madison Caudle provided seven points and Kaitlyn Floars had five.
The Conquerors (4-5 overall, 3-3 Coastal 2-A) host Berean Baptist on Tuesday.
Early turnovers put Wayne Christian in a hole it simply couldn't climb out of on Saturday.
Cresset Christian spoiled the Eagles' homecoming with a 77-47 victory.
Taylor Johnson scored a team-high 13 points for Wayne Christian (4-5 overall, 3-4 Carolina Christian), while Bradley Yelverton chipped in nine. Colton Woods had eight points.
The Eagles host Bethel Christian today.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 30, Bethel Christian 19 -- Brooke Barfield scored 14 points for the Eagles and Courtney Barrow finished with six points and six rebounds. Niki Fitzmorris pulled down 12 rebounds and Kaylee Wallace and Britney Ohara each provided four points and eight rebounds. Katie Isenhower supplied three blocks and eight rebounds.
* Girls' basketball: Faith Christian 32, Trinity Christian 25 -- Christina Powell and Charity Spencer each scored seven points for Faith. Brittany Barfield and Christy Johnson each added four points. The Conquerors (5-0) host Berean Baptist on Tuesday.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 43, Cresset Christian 42 -- Chase King led the Eagles' homecoming victory on Saturday with 16 points and nine rebounds. Jordan Crouthamel scored 12 points and had six rebounds. Cameron Malinofski pitched in eight points and five boards. Wayne Christian (6-4, 4-1 Carolina Christian) host Bethel Christian at 5 p.m. today.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 26, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 25 -- Victoria Combs knocked down four 3-pointers and finished with a team-high 12 points for the Eagles. Katie Isenhower pulled down 10 rebounds to go with five assists, four points and three steals. Kaylee Wallace and Niki Fitzmorris each had seven rebounds and Fitzmorris also chipped in six points.
* Boys' basketball: Wayne Christian 44, Faith Christian-Rocky Mount 38 -- Dylan Smith paced the Eagles attack with 15 points to go along with seven rebounds, two assists, four steals and a block. Gregory Johnson provided eight points and four rebounds and Vincent Magnarella scored six points and grabbed eight boards. Baron Wise added six points and five rebounds and Tyler Lacerda had five points.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series