By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 13, 2009 1:46 PM
Wayne Country Day's Will Nolan captured first place in the 50-yard freestyle and settled for runner-up honors in the 100 free during a five-team swim meet contested Monday evening at the Goldsboro Family Y pool.
Nolan touched the wall in 25.27 seconds during the 50 free, easily defeating Parrott's Yannick Dominik by 1.31 seconds. Nolan, however, finished a full second behind Village Christian's Ian Hinkle in the 100 free.
Fellow WCDS competitor Thomas Elmore posted a fourth-place performance in the 200 free and ended up sixth in the 50 free. Elmore swam the opening leg of the Chargers' 200 medley relay, which claimed fourth in 2:16.21.
Nolan, Elmore, Ravi Chittila and Thomas Yarboro combined to take fourth in the 200 free relay in 2:01.83.
On the girls' side, Ellen Elmore claimed second in the 200 free and grabbed third-place honors in the 100 free. Teammate Ama Zbarcea recorded a fourth-place effort in the 100 breaststroke.
Village Christian emerged the top boys' team with 373 points, while Parrott won the girls' portion with 301 points. Rocky Mount Academy and Faith Christian of Rocky Mount also participated in the meet.
Wayne Country Day swims again Jan. 22 at Cape Fear Academy in Wilmington.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 28, Bethel Christian 18 -- Brooke Barfield led all scorers with 12 points as the Eagles cruised on Monday night. Britney Ohara pulled down a team-high 14 rebounds. Courtney Barrow added seven points and six boards.
* Boys' basketball: Grantham 47, Dillard 32 -- Grantham was paced by Drake Shaw's 13 points as they bested Dillard on Monday. D.J. Massey added 11 points in the win as the Bulldogs improved to 5-5 on the season. Mileek Faye and Angelo Burden each scored 10 points respectively for Dillard.
* Boys' basketball: Eastern Wayne 52, Rosewood 37 -- Lee Atkinson and Dashon Boseman each scored 10 points to pace the balanced Eastern Wayne attack. Jyonte Raynor led the Eagles with a game-high 12 points.
* Girls' basketball: Eastern Wayne 36, Rosewood 32 -- Divonnie Powell's double-double effort led the Warriors to a hard-fought vistory in "The Nest" on Monday. Powell finished with 14 points and 10 steals. Rajuana Boyette added six points and a game-high 15 rebounds for Eastern Wayne (9-1 overall). Logan Bill emerged the leading scorer for Rosewood with 11 points.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 38, Brogden 8 -- Jenna Van Horn paced the Cobras with 14 points. Amber Rose and Quanika Artis each added six markers respectively. Norwayne improved to 7-1 overall.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series