Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 16, 2009 1:46 PM
Wayne Christian's girls' picked up a 48-34 victory over Community Christian in a Class 1-A Carolina Christian Conference contest Thursday evening at Clifford Gymnatorium.
Alaina Moore scored 12 points to go with six rebounds. Hanna Kaler chipped in 12 points, 10 rebounds and two assists. Devan Isenhower had eight points and five rebounds.
Jennifer Price added six points, nine rebounds, five steals and five assists. Kayla Kennedy supplied six points, five rebounds, six assists and two steals.
The Eagles (8-3 overall, 4-2 CCC) visit Norlina Christian today.
Luke Howell turned in a double-double but it wasn't enough as Wayne Christian fell 55-38 to Carolina Christian 1-A foe Community Christian on Thursday evening.
Howell scored 14 points and pulled down 10 rebounds to go along with four steals and two blocks. Bradley Yelverton added nine points, while Colton Woods had eight.
Matthew Barnette led Community with 18 points.
The Eagles (4-9 overall, 3-5 CCC) travel to Norlina Christian today.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Country Day 22, St. Mary's 15 -- Wayne Country Day's Sarah Best led all scorers with 18 points. The Chargers (3-2 overall) visit Wayne Christian today.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 37, Brogden 21 -- Logan Bill led the Eagles with nine points and Holly Heath contributed eight. Alisha Burns scored six points. Christina King finished with six points for Brogden and Ebony Robinson added five. Rosewood (6-4 overall) entertains Norwayne next Thursday.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 39, Cape Fear Christian 31 -- Brooke Barfield and Niki Fitzmorris each scored 10 points for the Eagles. Katie Isenhower chipped in six points, six rebounds, five steals and two blocks.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 33, Dillard 19 -- Madison Mercer paced Norwayne's offense with nine points, while teammate Hannah Pearson posted an eight-point effort. The Cobras (9-1 overall) improved to 3-1 in Wayne County Middle School Athletic Conference Division I play.
* Boys' basketball: Norwayne 39, Dillard 16 -- A.J. Mundle finished with a game-high 22 points for Norwayne. Norwayne (4-6 overall, 2-2 WCMSAC Division I) visits Rosewood next Thursday.
* Boys' basketball: Greenwood 47, Eastern Wayne 35 -- Quaviis Holloman helped Greenwood (10-0 overall) stay unbeaten with 13 points and four assists. Jaelen Johnson contributed 12 points and 11 rebounds. Jalin Spriull added nine points, five rebounds and three assists. Lee Atkinson scored 11 points for Eastern Wayne. Greenwood is the guest of Grantham next Thursday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series