MOC coach Lancaster is set as guest speaker for Wayne County Hot Stove Banquet
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on January 16, 2009 1:46 PM
An unbelievable achievement will again earn recognition during the third annual Wayne County Hot Stove League banquet.
Hot Stove organizer Roger May plans to honor the Mount Olive College baseball team, which captured the NCAA Division II national championship. He'll also favor the Wayne County Babe Ruth 9U baseball team, which seized the Southeast Regional title.
The festivities are planned for Monday at the Eastern Carolina Athletic Park. A social hour kicks off the celebration at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner from 7-9 p.m.
MOC head coach Carl Lancaster is the guest speaker.
"Last year we had five high school teams from the area in the playoffs, the 9U team that won the regional and the Mount Olive kids doing what they did," said May. "That just tells you how good baseball is in our area. A lot of it has to do with Babe Ruth, travel ball and just seeing better competition at an early age."
Five individuals will also be acknowledged for their achievements in 2008 with the following awards:
* Clyde King -- the area's top pitcher;
* Jerry Narron -- area's top player among Wayne, Greene, Johnston, Lenoir and Duplin counties;
* Doyle Whitfield -- area's top high school coach;
* John Thomas -- area's top volunteer coach;
* George Whitfield -- area player who best exemplifies the traits of dedication, determination, sacrifice for the good of the team and a genuine love for the game of baseball.
"I think everyone who has been to the banquet in the past has enjoyed it," said May. "The whole objective is to keep promoting baseball in Wayne County and those people who have achieved. There is some pretty good history in Wayne County and the surrounding areas."
Banquet tickets for $20 and charter memberships for $50 remain available. The tickets may be purchased at Sportsman's World.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series