Easley, Holloman spark Trojan men past Lees-McRae
By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on January 18, 2009 2:00 AM
MOC Sports Information
BANNER ELK -- Kendrick Easley poured in 24 points and Mike Holloman supplied his first-ever collegiate double-double -- 22 points, 10 rebounds -- as Mount Olive hammered Lees-McRae 102-68 on Saturday afternoon.
Justin Melton flirted with a triple-double -- 12 points, eight assists and seven steals -- for the Trojans, who improved to 7-7 overall and 6-1 in Conference Carolinas play this season.
Lees-McRae owned an early advantage until Easley's 3-pointer put Mount Olive, the reigning Conference Carolinas champion, ahead to stay. The Bobcats pulled within four points in the first half, but Melton and Aaron Dobson each hit a 3-pointer to fuel an 11-0 run.
Easley scored 17 first-half points as Mount Olive led 47-32 at the break.
Melton started the second half with back-to-back steals and the Trojans' offense continued to click. Mount Olive has averaged 98.5 points in its last two outings and 87 points during its last five contests.
Dobson finished with 12 points -- all from 3-point range. Derek Staton handed out six assists and the Trojans bested the Bobcats on the boards.
Mount Olive entertains Queens University on Monday. Tip-off is 4 p.m. at Kornegay Arena.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series