Local Preps Digest
By From staff reports
Published in Sports on January 30, 2009 1:46 PM
Wayne Country Day's Ellen Elmore and Will Nolan each recorded two top-four finishes during a four-team swim meet contested Thursday evening in the Goldsboro Family Y pool.
Elmore placed second in the 200 free with a time of 2 minutes, 42.17 seconds and fourth in the 100 free (1:12.04). Nolan emerged victorious in the 50 free (25.94) and ended up third in the 100 free (1:01.5) behind teammate Thomas Elmore.
Thomas Yarboro took 14th in the 50 and 100 free, while Ravi Chittilla participated in the 50 free. Walker Malphrus claimed fourth in the 100 breaststroke.
The Chargers captured the 200 free relay and took second in the 200 medley relay behind Arendell-Parrott Academy.
On the girls' side, Rebecca Thompson swam a runner-up time (31.32) in the 50 free. Ama Zbarcea wound up fourth in the 100 breaststroke and Wayne Country Day seized third in the 200 medley relay.
Cape Fear Academy and Faith Christian-Rocky Mount also competed.
* Girls' basketball: C.B. Aycock 28, Kinston 25 -- Elizabeth Fortner led Aycock with 10 points. The Golden Falcons (9-4 overall, 3-2 Eastern Carolina Conference) visit Wilson Beddingfield today.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 39, Grantham 10 -- Amanda Becker scored 12 points for Rosewood (7-4 overall) and Holly Heath added eight. Alisha Barnes had six points and Logan Bell provided five.
* Girls' basketball: Norwayne 27, Mount Olive 9 -- Cliniqa Artis paced Norwayne with nine points and Hanna Pearson pitched in five. Naja Mohammed had five points for Mount Olive. Norwayne (11-1 overall, 4-1 WCMSAC Division I) visits Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Boys' basketball: Norwayne 45, Mount Olive 39 -- A.J. Mundle finished with 15 points for Norwayne and Shakel Powell chipped in 12. Michael Williams contributed nine points and Vincent Sapp had eight. Jameel Price led Mount Olive with 14 points and Andrew Matthews added 12. Norwayne (5-7 overall, 2-3 WCMSAC Division I) travels to Eastern Wayne on Monday.
* Boys' basketball: Greenwood 44, Brogden 33 -- Jaelen Johnson scored 11 points and grabbed 14 rebounds for Greenwood (13-0). Quaviis Holloman added 10 points and four assists and Jalin Spruill supplied nine points and five assists. Kerron Howell had seven points and 14 rebounds. Ronell Outlaw finished with a game-high 26 points for Brogden.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series