By Staff Reports
Published in Sports on February 3, 2009 1:46 PM
HENDERSON -- Wayne Country Day built a 23-point, opening-quarter lead and dismantled Kerr-Vance 71-44 in a Class 1-A Coastal Plains Independent Conference boys' basketball game.
Floronta Wynn led the Chargers' offense with 20 points, including 12 from behind the 3-point arc. Reco McCarter contributed 18 points and seven rebounds. Tim Hobbs (seven rebounds) and Josh Gregory provided 11 points apiece.
Rashid Williams pulled down six boards.
* Girls' basketball: Wayne Christian 43, Cape Fear Christian 19 -- Brooke Barfield led all scorers with 19 points to pace the Eagles' offense. Britney O'Hara pulled down 13 rebounds and teammate Katie Isenhower grabbed 10 boards.
* Boys' basketball: Norwayne 52, Eastern Wayne 48 -- A.J. Mundle poured in 29 points as Norwayne held on to beat county rival Eastern Wayne on Monday. Greg Williams finished with 10 points for the Cobras (6-7 overall). Eastern Wayne was led by Anton Williams' 13-point performance.
* Girls' basketball: Eastern Wayne 23, Norwayne 22 -- Eastern Wayne closed its season with a win over rival Norwayne on Monday. Divonnie Powell led the Warriors with nine points. Elondia Grant added five points and six steals. Rajuana Boyette grabbed 10 rebounds and teammate Grace Delbridge notched seven steals.
* Girls' basketball: Rosewood 34, Spring Creek 14 -- Rosewood dominated throughout its 34-14 victory over Spring Creek on Monday. Danielle Cornman finished with 12 points for the Eagles. Amanda Becker added seven points and Logan Bill finished with six points. Rosewood (9-4 overall, 8-0) will host Norwayne on Wednesday.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series