By Rudy Coggins
Published in Sports on February 12, 2009 1:46 PM
MOUNT OLIVE -- The Mount Olive College men's and women's basketball teams are ranked No. 9 in the latest NCAA Division II Southeast Region poll released Wednesday.
The Trojan men (14-7 overall) jumped into the top 10 on the strength of an eight-game winning streak. Mount Olive owns a one-game lead over archrival Barton, ranked No. 7 in the region, in Conference Carolinas action.
The Trojan women, the reigning Conference Carolinas champions, continue their streak of three consecutive weeks among the region's top-10 teams. Mount Olive (18-3 overall) has won a school-record 12 straight games.
The teams travel to league rival Coker (S.C.) College today.
MOUNT OLIVE -- One day after tumbling to No. 27 in the Collegiate Baseball Division II poll, the Mount Olive College baseball team is ranked sixth in the first regular-season Ping Baseball Division II poll.
Mount Olive (5-3 overall) begins defense of its Conference Carolinas regular-season championship Saturday at archrival Barton. The doubleheader begins at noon on the Nixon Field diamond.
Other Local Sports
- Wayne County rally falls short
- Wayne County 10U All-Stars advance
- OUTDOORS - Ladyfish pack big bite
- senior legion boxscore
- Junior legion teams enjoy victories
- Edenton takes series lead against Wayne County
- Wayne North avenges loss to Wayne South
- Zach Wright will play in showcase game
- OPINION- Some athletes should fade away
- Edenton beats Post 11 to even series